SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M15 against the odds

Cripes! I've had to reverse engineer the image details. Definitely September 29th, 36 120s subs (possibly a 300s and 60s one as well), Canon 450D and my 150PL on HEQ5, guided.

This was a really horrible session with loads of things going wrong and weather problems (as I recall!)

Processed with DSS, FITS liberator, Photoshop and Astra Image (I think).

large_M15.png.7cdc01775b0f1eb4172552540428f724.png

I find 'mathematical' stretches on an unprocessed 32-bit FITS from DSS have given me a step change in image quality. The knack is choosing the best transform for each dataset and the right place to put the black point.

I save the three layers (R, G & B ) as 32 bit TIFFS then in PS I apply gradient exterminator to the 32 bit data if required  - no more ugly gradient steps!

Then combine into an RGB, this downsamples to 16 bit. Some images benefit from doing the 16-bit downsample before combining them using the different processes available.

The resulting images are definitely smoother at the low end and seem to be easier to colour balance.

Nowt wrong with this, I'm a Globular groupie, and that is nice product.
M15 is 33.6 K light years and  one of the more star packed Globs.
A treat to the eyes.  Can't remember if You got a place with that one Stub.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived