Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW polar alignment

Hoping this makes sense. I have SW SA and I'm looking for a 90 degree viewer for the polar scope so that I don't have to get down and half break my neck and back trying to view for alignment. I've had a look around but can't seem to find one. Does it even exist?

Yes the TS adaptors are expensive, particularly since they bear a remarkable resemblance to these, which are on Amazon for only 25% of the price.

But you would need to make an adapter. Has anybody already done so?

https://neewer.com/product/neewer-perfect-1x-2x-right-angle-viewfinder-for-canon-nikon-sony-pentax-panasonic-and-other-slr-cameras/

1 minute ago, lenscap said:

Hmm, it is part of the article but the detail of the tools and materials required and step by step instructions aren't there from what I can see which is a shame.

Regards,
Steve

14 minutes ago, Maxrayne said:

Thanks guys, really appreciated. Ideally the Polemaster would be my preferred route, so I'm looking at cheaper options. Do like the look of that Neewer piece :)

If you do imaging, the cheapest way is SharpCap Polar Align aid :)

I have Sharpcap and PHD2 but haven't yet messed with polar alignment tools in them. Been struggling to get focus with the ST80 and ZWO ASI using any software (primarily because I can't see anything on screen which leads me to think my camera settings are way off somewhere.) Have all the usual suspects installed, ie Sharpcap, APT, PHD2, but when it comes to seeing any actual stars using the ASI 120mm I can't see anything. Been able to get moon focus with them, but then that thing is seriously bright. I'll get there, just a case of figuring out what I'm doing wrong actually getting stars to show with the ASI

1 hour ago, lenscap said:

Angle finders can be had on flea bay for around a tenner. Take care though some people ask daft prices! The ‘stop ends’ are in the B&Q plumbing aisle. Cut a hole in the ‘stop end’. Areldite one to the other and hey presto half an hour later you have a suitable device. ?

44 minutes ago, Maxrayne said:

So it's not a "gain" thing?

For alignment and initial focus, use Bin2, Gain Max and 3sec, - decrease exposure as you get better focus.

Finalise focusing with Gain x 1. Do not forget to Lock focus at the end.

once done, start polar alignment aid on the SharpCap. It needs quite good focus as it uses PlateSolving.

If you not yet setup platesolving, - start reading and start from it.

Thats where I've been going wrong...my exposure is still in ms... :o 

Already have the plate solve files installed so thats pretty much it I think until I can get myself out to try it all properly.

You guys are legendary :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Neewer camera 90 degree angle finder and a clever amazingly precise attachment of an auction site from a fellow in France... It's a perfect fit!!! I'm delighted and looking forward for clear skies to try it in the field  total cost £40 ish... it'll be money well spent according to my glass knee ?

Eek forgot to say thanks to Nicko for finding the attachment on the well known auction site... 

IMG_20181018_112254.jpg

IMG_20181018_112306.jpg

IMG_20181018_112622.jpg

Archived