Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cats Eye Nebula

PaulM

On Saturday last I had nice clear skies and spent a good view hours observing and went searching for the Cats Eye Nebula for the first time in Draco

Starting with the 24mm Meade I initially didn't see it as it resembled a green\blue star

Moving onto the the 15mm and then 8mm EPs it revealed some structure - a bright core and a green\blue halo - very striking to look at and I preferred the view without the OIII filter as it lost its striking color through the filter

Very nice DSO to observe and would recommend hunting it out

An easy an effective way of picking out PN from the background Stars is to use a simple dispersion 60 deg prism between the eyepiece and the eye.

A PN will show a steady image, whereas the stars will be dispersed into short spectra.

7 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

An easy an effective way of picking out PN from the background Stars is to use a simple dispersion 60 deg prism between the eyepiece and the eye.

A PN will show a steady image, whereas the stars will be dispersed into short spectra.

Or "blink" an O-III filter over the eye lens that can also help find the little critters :thumbright:

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:01, PaulM said:

Very nice DSO to observe and would recommend hunting it out

Nice one, successful at the first attempt?

It's on my list for a long time, I find it very hard to find. Not been successfull yet, but I keep trying.

Nice one! The Cat's Eye is a great target - I find lots of mag helps eg 330x or more, and I use an O-III too with my 15".  On good nights, I start to detect hints ofg some inner detail: two ovals at right angles to each other.  This is on the limits of visibility from my back garden- would love to catch it from truly dark skies ;)

Archived