Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mirror grinding

1 hour ago, Tonyhaz said:

Hi

how much does it cost to get a 10” mirror grinded back and re done so it’s like new again. And is it worth it ? 

Orion offer a recoating service and will give you a quote but they're not the speediest company in the world, there are others I believe.

Why does it need grinding ?

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/searchpage.html?q=MIRROR+RECOATING&t=1534248340330_sss-data.js&x=0&y=0

Dave

Check the price of a new mirror and deduct the cost of a blank from that. For a 10" the I am guessing blank will be somewhere between £50 and £150 depending on your material.

Galvoptics no longer list float glass blanks on their web site, Beacon Hill list a 10" x 1" float glass at £51.

It is possible that with an unknown glass blank ( your mirror ) there might be a reluctance to undertake the re-working as any fault in the glass could cause problems with it in the future. As I assume that the mirror is your Dark Star one furture problems are unlikely.

Nigel

A mirror rarely needs to be reground unless the surface is badly damaged or the focal length needs changing, it's usually cheaper to replace one these days.  If it's just the coating that needs replacing, Galvoptics or Orion Optics can do this for you.

47 minutes ago, Astrobits said:

Davey, Peter,

In a previous post Tonyhaz mentioned that he had a 10" mirror re-coated and the comment from the re-coaters was that it needed re-grinding. I am assuming that this post refers to the same mirror.

Nigel

That’s correct  Nigel, 

galvoptics did it a few years ago, said they did it twice and couldn’t remove all the marks, I had a quote to it re-coated again for £68, but I’m guessing lll be in same boat unless methods have changed in 5 years. Mirror still works, but I wonder what quality on viewing I’m missing as I’ve only used this mirror. 

47 minutes ago, Tonyhaz said:

That’s correct  Nigel, 

galvoptics did it a few years ago, said they did it twice and couldn’t remove all the marks, I had a quote to it re-coated again for £68, but I’m guessing lll be in same boat unless methods have changed in 5 years. Mirror still works, but I wonder what quality on viewing I’m missing as I’ve only used this mirror. 

Time for a bit of ATM then Tony, plenty of mirror grinding tutorials on YT and lot's of experts here to advise :grin:

Dave

27 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Time for a bit of ATM then Tony, plenty of mirror grinding tutorials on YT and lot's of experts here to advise :grin:

Dave

I’d destroy it Dave, i watched one this morning and thought there’s no way I’d end up with a nice mirror after doing that, I’d have Roman mirror at best ?

1 hour ago, Tonyhaz said:

That’s correct  Nigel, 

Ah, missed that bit, in that case my comment that a replacement mirror is probably the best route. Interesting to know what happened to the original to spoil the surface to such an extent?  ?

Archived