Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 2014 - Then and now

lukebl

What a difference Mars has been this time round, compared with 2014! Back then, at least Mars reached an elevation of 35 degrees, whereas this time round I can only just capture it in a brief gap between trees and buildings at an elevation of 12 degrees, shimmering in the haze. Which is why I haven't bothered to try and capture it till now. But I thought I'd have one go before it moves on.

These are two images I captured with identical equipment - 250mm f/4.8 Newtonian, 3x barlow, IMG132e camera. About 3000 frames stacked in Registax. Mars was approximately the same size in both images, around 14.5". Back in 2014 I could make out the four big volcanoes, plus distinct cloud/fog patches and a load of surface detail. This time, well you can just about make out a polar cap and some vague shading.

Roll on 2020, if I'm spared.

45125432632_ad70bd4c7c_h.jpg

Archived