SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M78

Rodd

I am flabbergasted!  I have wanted to shoot M78 ever since the beginning, and have had a couple of starts, but never finished.  Time would go by, uncalibrated subs would be lost, camera angles changed--a million things.  So in my perusing of my data, or what's left of it, I was shocked to see that I actually had some Rand G and B subs of M78.  Not many mind you--but at least some.  The lum wasn't calibrated and I have long since lost the calibration frames.  So, just to see what I have I registered the subs I had and integrated them.  For me, this is a very small amount of data.  I had to crop more than I wanted--so the restricted FOV is even more so.

TOA 130 at F7.7 with STT-8300

Red: 17 10min

Green: 15 10 min

Blue: 6 10 min

I used a synthetic lum by integrating all subs and made an LRGB image.  Needs way, way more data.  But for what it is, I am pleased.  I would say full res viewing would be a psychologically damaging endeavor.  But I have not downsampled.  I know there are a whole slew of things wrong with this image--it is not really finished.  But it will never be more finished than this.  I will shoot this target again and try to do it justice.  There is no detail in the bright regions.  On and on.  I am just happy I have something other than a reprocess to post!!!  For good or ill, here it is...

Image14e.thumb.jpg.1f4dd1929780c0f25093a4ae370c641f.jpg

Considering how "cobbled together" it is, I think that is a very creditable result. Yes, very noisy; yes, lacking a certain amount of detail. But as a spur to encourage you to get on and image this object properly during the coming season ... I look forward to seeing your "proper" efforts.

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

Considering how "cobbled together" it is, I think that is a very creditable result. Yes, very noisy; yes, lacking a certain amount of detail. But as a spur to encourage you to get on and image this object properly during the coming season ... I look forward to seeing your "proper" efforts.

One of my favorite targets--Its relaticvely low for me though--so I won't have allot of time.  The weather better improved or it will be tough.  BTW--this is a perfect example of one of my long standing dissatisfactions.  The black speckles.  .These plague me at times.  Don't think they are noise.  I mean 3 hours is enough data for a color channel (my red stack).  Others post images with less data.  I am not convinced its noise.  If it is noise, more data is the answer.  If its not--a million subs won't help

Rodd

Archived