SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Win 10 Fall Update

Thalestris24

This is not helpful I know, but I avoid W10 like the plague, I hear so many of these horror stories, I would not be able to cope with it all.   Just got myself a reconditioned W7 laptop to replace my very old Vista imaging laptop which I have to concede is on its last legs.   I've kept it going far longer than most would as I can't face the ordeal of having to get another up and running.   The left and right click have packed up, the power cable went a year ago and the replacement one is a bad fit and sometimes doesn't make contact.   It is slow, but all I use it for is imaging.  

Hope you get it sorted.

Carole 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I understand you can postpone feature updates for up to six months. I suppose you did that. Maybe those six months were over. I'll find the source for this and add it to this post.

Edit: It was this:

Its odd but I have never postponed any updates and dont think I could on the home edition, I actively seek out updates for everything probably spending an hour a day searching (am a bit OCD with this).

Alan

@Alien 13

I got confused Alan. I indeed thought you had the professional version because 1803 was the dreaded update of April this year. Haven't you had that laptop connected to the internet for the past half year?

Anyway, the people who got into trouble this time (1809) were the ones who updated actively. They sent out a major bug warning over social media. Microsoft has responded by removing the feature part of the 1809 update and went on to just distribute the monthly security update. That was the little update we got last Tuesday (Wednesday for some)

With Microsoft so eager to push out their buggy half-yearly feature updates, it is better not to actively seek out updates! Just let the automatic features run their course. That way you'll avoid being among the first to be unpleasantly surprised. Next time will be the April 2019 Windows Complaint season.

I run O&O ShutUp10 after every update and block all safe-to-block spyware features of windows. A few weeks before the April and October updates I allow the telemetry, which I then turn off once more after the update is behind us.

Like you, I just have the Windows Hone edition, so I cannot delay feature updates. 

12 minutes ago, Ruud said:

@Alien 13

I got confused Alan. I indeed thought you had the professional version because 1803 was the dreaded update of April this year. Haven't you had that laptop connected to the internet for the past half year?

Anyway, the people who got into trouble this time (1809) were the ones who updated actively. They sent out a major bug warning over social media. Microsoft has responded by removing the feature part of the 1809 update and went on to just distribute the monthly security update. That was the little update we got last Tuesday (Wednesday for some)

With Microsoft so eager to push out their buggy half-yearly feature updates, it is better not to actively seek out updates! Just let the automatic features run their course. That way you'll avoid being among the first to be unpleasantly surprised. Next time will be the April 2019 Windows Complaint season.

I run O&O ShutUp10 after every update and block all safe-to-block spyware features of windows. A few weeks before the April and October updates I allow the telemetry, which I then turn off once more after the update is behind us.

Like you, I just have the Windows Hone edition, so I cannot delay feature updates. 

My laptop is connected for around 19 hours a day (I play a lot of games) but am using a Dell and from what I know MS and Dell dont get on regarding updates so that could be the reason.

Alan

I installed 1803 at the end of April, I am just downloading & installing '2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462919)'.  Suspect I will be on 1809 soon enough.  Win 10 pro.

Nope, not if you know what you are doing.... 

The simplest & easiest fix is to manipulate the c:\windos\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (note NO file extension (.txt etc)), by adding in all the Microsoft update IP's, & while your at it, add in all the spammers\advertisers etc....

Hi All,

I want to draw all of your attention to an issue I was having regarding Windows 10 (64bit)- PHD2 - Celestron CGEM mount. It caused me a right head ache. Louise also helped me in my pursuit of answer, but after many trials and errors, I finally got to a conclusion. Please feel free to read the following post. I hope this helps CGEM users who are experiencing similar issues.

John

I've currently got the windows update service disabled on my capture laptop. Not sure if I should install updates like 1809 at all. Are they needed to allow the install of future security/critical updates?

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

A BIG WATCHOUT !

Sorry for the capitals, update this morning (KB4464933 edit oops KB4462933 slipped a 4 in without checking, thanks Louise) Win 10 pro 1803 64bit, may or may not be the update, possibly new Windows server problem.

I am now being advised my Pro licence is fake (I paid Microsoft for Win8Pro and then took the free update to Win10Pro) and I am being asked to downgrade to Win10 Home and whatever.......   runs around the room screaming........   don't seem to be able to navigate to anything useful from the current desktop alerts.

Found these sites with some info :  ZDnet   Forbes  there may/will be others,  guess I just wait until Mr Gates stops playing with his toilet and sorts it out.

I would advise to wait a while before updating at the moment,  living with a grey alert bottom RH screen asking me to activate windows home, when I try I am asked to go to the store and  pay for pro, it's overlayed on everything. 

46 minutes ago, Mick J said:

A BIG WATCHOUT !

Sorry for the capitals, update this morning (KB4464933) Win 10 pro 1803 64bit, may or may not be the update, possibly new Windows server problem.

I am now being advised my Pro licence is fake (I paid Microsoft for Win8Pro and then took the free update to Win10Pro) and I am being asked to downgrade to Win10 Home and whatever.......   runs around the room screaming........   don't able seem to navigate to anything useful from the current desktop alerts.

Found these sites with some info :  ZDnet   Forbes  there may/will be others,  guess I just wait until Mr Gates stops playing with his toilet and sorts it out.

I would advise to wait a while before updating at the moment,  living with a grey alert bottom RH screen asking me to activate windows home, when I try I am asked to go to the store and  pay for pro, it's overlayed on everything. 

Hi Mick

Where did you get that update from? I don't recognise it - 'KB4464933' isn't recognised by Microsoft or Google. Or was that a typo? My last cumulative update was KB4462933 and it was ok :) I think there is a thing by which you can be limited to the number of activations you can have after hardware changes (I'm not certain about that, it's all a bit unclear to me!). 

I still think they've still not properly released the 1809 update which all went horribly wrong...

Louise

Hi Louise = my bad a typo it was KB4462933,   not sure if it's the update seems to be a microsoft server thing.  Grey alert has gone after a reboot - but 'Windows isn't activated, Activate Windows now' link on my settings page.

I can downgrade to home or buy pro from store !

Microsoft Store will not allow me to buy Pro, it cannot link to that.

5 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Hi Louise = my bad a typo it was KB4462933,   not sure if it's the update seems to be a microsoft server thing.  Grey alert has gone after a reboot - but 'Windows isn't activated, Activate Windows now' link on my settings page.

I can downgrade to home or buy pro from store !

Microsoft Store will not allow me to buy Pro, it cannot link to that.

Do you have a Microsoft Account? If you get stuck it's worth getting one of the Microsoft helpers to, er, help! One helped me get up and running after a major hardware upgrade early in the year. I needed a valid Microsoft Windows  product key which I got from an older Windows 7 version :)

Louise

Thanks again Louise, this morning the grey overlay bottom right of screen is back and still the alert in my settings popup, apart from that no real problem and looking around the net it seem common and random. I believe Microsoft are working on it and will wait until.  It's just time wasted following the alerts that lead to nowhere, but been there before.

On 16/10/2018 at 14:35, Andyb90 said:

I've currently got the windows update service disabled on my capture laptop. Not sure if I should install updates like 1809 at all. Are they needed to allow the install of future security/critical updates?

Andy.

If you use Defender as your AV then the updates are essential as they not only contain the definitions for it (almost daily sometimes), but also updates for the AV itself.  

It could be argued that all updates are necessary, but not all of them 'patch vulnerabilities' as is often presumed, many are just additions and improvements, so not necessary if you are not affected, so it could equally be argued that they are not.

Jan 4th 2020 is the deadline date for support on W7.  After this date support is being withdrawn and you won't get any patches/updates etc.  Shame as it is a great OS, and amongst the best from MS.  Hopefully they will have W10 sorted by then ?

13 minutes ago, RayD said:

Hopefully they will have W10 sorted by then

Aerial Gloucester Old Spots anyone?

I have no doubt at all that Microsoft will be moving Windows to a subscription model. They missed out big-time on data harvesting a la Google / Facebook etc so now they need to boost their revenue stream ...............

Just my opinion but I will accept modest wagers.................

1 minute ago, hughgilhespie said:

I have no doubt at all that Microsoft will be moving Windows to a subscription model

Without doubt.  Isn't that effectively what they do now though by charging you for the latest release if you missed the 'free upgrade' period?

Archived