Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

Thalestris24

Win 10 Fall Update

This is not helpful I know, but I avoid W10 like the plague, I hear so many of these horror stories, I would not be able to cope with it all.   Just got myself a reconditioned W7 laptop to replace my very old Vista imaging laptop which I have to concede is on its last legs.   I've kept it going far longer than most would as I can't face the ordeal of having to get another up and running.   The left and right click have packed up, the power cable went a year ago and the replacement one is a bad fit and sometimes doesn't make contact.   It is slow, but all I use it for is imaging.  

Hope you get it sorted.

Carole 

Sorry double posted

Carole 

Edited by carastro

16 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I understand you can postpone feature updates for up to six months. I suppose you did that. Maybe those six months were over. I'll find the source for this and add it to this post.

Edit: It was this:

Its odd but I have never postponed any updates and dont think I could on the home edition, I actively seek out updates for everything probably spending an hour a day searching (am a bit OCD with this).

Alan

@Alien 13

I got confused Alan. I indeed thought you had the professional version because 1803 was the dreaded update of April this year. Haven't you had that laptop connected to the internet for the past half year?

Anyway, the people who got into trouble this time (1809) were the ones who updated actively. They sent out a major bug warning over social media. Microsoft has responded by removing the feature part of the 1809 update and went on to just distribute the monthly security update. That was the little update we got last Tuesday (Wednesday for some)

With Microsoft so eager to push out their buggy half-yearly feature updates, it is better not to actively seek out updates! Just let the automatic features run their course. That way you'll avoid being among the first to be unpleasantly surprised. Next time will be the April 2019 Windows Complaint season.

I run O&O ShutUp10 after every update and block all safe-to-block spyware features of windows. A few weeks before the April and October updates I allow the telemetry, which I then turn off once more after the update is behind us.

Like you, I just have the Windows Hone edition, so I cannot delay feature updates. 

12 minutes ago, Ruud said:

@Alien 13

I got confused Alan. I indeed thought you had the professional version because 1803 was the dreaded update of April this year. Haven't you had that laptop connected to the internet for the past half year?

Anyway, the people who got into trouble this time (1809) were the ones who updated actively. They sent out a major bug warning over social media. Microsoft has responded by removing the feature part of the 1809 update and went on to just distribute the monthly security update. That was the little update we got last Tuesday (Wednesday for some)

With Microsoft so eager to push out their buggy half-yearly feature updates, it is better not to actively seek out updates! Just let the automatic features run their course. That way you'll avoid being among the first to be unpleasantly surprised. Next time will be the April 2019 Windows Complaint season.

I run O&O ShutUp10 after every update and block all safe-to-block spyware features of windows. A few weeks before the April and October updates I allow the telemetry, which I then turn off once more after the update is behind us.

Like you, I just have the Windows Hone edition, so I cannot delay feature updates. 

My laptop is connected for around 19 hours a day (I play a lot of games) but am using a Dell and from what I know MS and Dell dont get on regarding updates so that could be the reason.

Alan

I installed 1803 at the end of April, I am just downloading & installing '2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462919)'.  Suspect I will be on 1809 soon enough.  Win 10 pro.

• Like 1

I finally get it! We've been on Win 10 1803 since April, and every update since then has been for that.

I wouldn't mind if Microsoft skipped  Win 10 1809 altogether.

• Like 1

Seems like anyone with Windows (especially Win 10) is pretty much at the mercy of Microsoft now... :( 

Nope, not if you know what you are doing.... 

The simplest & easiest fix is to manipulate the c:\windos\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (note NO file extension (.txt etc)), by adding in all the Microsoft update IP's, & while your at it, add in all the spammers\advertisers etc....

hmmm, I wonder what the Linux\Apple world has to say about that.....

But I also mod the hosts file on all the OS's I'm running, to ensure no crap gets in...

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

hmmm, I wonder what the Linux\Apple world has to say about that.....

I have Linux on a separate system but don't really use it. Linux and Apple are still in the minority, I think

Hi All,

I want to draw all of your attention to an issue I was having regarding Windows 10 (64bit)- PHD2 - Celestron CGEM mount. It caused me a right head ache. Louise also helped me in my pursuit of answer, but after many trials and errors, I finally got to a conclusion. Please feel free to read the following post. I hope this helps CGEM users who are experiencing similar issues.

John

I've currently got the windows update service disabled on my capture laptop. Not sure if I should install updates like 1809 at all. Are they needed to allow the install of future security/critical updates?

Andy.