SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1396A - The Woman Walking Away

CKemu

A few weeks ago I started work on this with the H-Alpha under full Moon conditions, and despite that Moon, got great contrast. However OIII was very washed out.

Last night I was able to finally start grabbing OIII data and have created this "work in progress" Bi-Colour blend.

It's made from 2*16*720s in Ha and 2*16*720s in OIII, with the aim of getting SII and increasing the data capture to around 30*720s in each channel.

Now here's a question...where the heck is the "Elephant's Trunk", I look at this from every angle going, and I see E.T.'s finger, Mufasa on pride rock, and most strongly a long haired woman, with her back to us, the left hand structure forming her neck/shoulder and the lower region a skirt....but no darn trunk!

1905244725_IC1396AHaO32P.thumb.jpg.77382345fde9170cd11d95a7e6add63c.jpg

Yeah, I see the woman after a bit of a struggle. I also see it as a one eyed alien walking towards us out of a red mist. Elephant trunk? Nah.

Superb image though. 

As a OSC DSLR imager only,  I'd like to ask a possibly naive question I've wondered about for some time ... How come the stars are white given the fact you've used filters? Shouldn't they also be red? Where does the star whiteness (RGB) come from?  Is it some kind of trick using a luminosity layer, star mask, or something? 

Lovely image, nicely done!

I’ve not heard of the Woman walking away description but it seems quite clear to me even before you described it.

I’ve always assumed the Elephant’s trunk was the part I have highlighted, could well be completely wrong though!!

FA637C33-82CF-4975-BF8D-B83BC4725AA6.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Yeah, I see the woman after a bit of a struggle. I also see it as a one eyed alien walking towards us out of a red mist. Elephant trunk? Nah.

Superb image though. 

As a OSC DSLR imager only,  I'd like to ask a possibly naive question I've wondered about for some time ... How come the stars are white given the fact you've used filters? Shouldn't they also be red? Where does the star whiteness (RGB) come from?  Is it some kind of trick using a luminosity layer, star mask, or something? 

I only have Ha (Red) and O3 (Blue) so in Photoshop I assign them to those colours and then use a blend of Ha/O3 to produce an artificial green channel, which gives an overall "true" colour result, but leaves all the stars white (bar halos and other artifacts). Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely image, nicely done!

I’ve not heard of the Woman walking away description but it seems quite clear to me even before you described it.

I’ve always assumed the Elephant’s trunk was the part I have highlighted, could well be completely wrong though!!

FA637C33-82CF-4975-BF8D-B83BC4725AA6.jpeg

I am glad it's not only me that fails to see the Elephant's Trunk, though the region you highlighted makes sense, so I will go with that! I guess all in all the only "official" name is it's rather plain designation. 

15 hours ago, CKemu said:

I only have Ha (Red) and O3 (Blue) so in Photoshop I assign them to those colours and then use a blend of Ha/O3 to produce an artificial green channel, which gives an overall "true" colour result, but leaves all the stars white (bar halos and other artifacts). Hope that helps.

Thanks. Yes it does. Is that method applied to a star "layer" only .... otherwise wouldn't all the nebula  be white rather than red? 

14 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Thanks. Yes it does. Is that method applied to a star "layer" only .... otherwise wouldn't all the nebula  be white rather than red? 

No star layers used, simply the raw data for each one, mapped to colours, I've attached a screenshot of the layers used in this image. Only one is clipped, which was "selective colour", applied just to make an slight "artistic" tweak to the palette.

Untitled-1.jpg.17f97f45b1d8de2978dd992ac05e69b5.jpg

Archived