Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help combining Oiii and Ha data on Pacman

There is a really long thread on the Cloudy Nights forum with regards to Optolong narrowband filters. I'm not sure if this is your problem but there have been a number of users who claim that their Optolong filters were definitely 'off band' i.e. leaking light outside the specification. So one possibility could be that your OIII filter is slightly off band and therefore collects more light. If you think that could be the case and the filters are new you might be able to speak to the supplier to get it looked at. Not sure if there is a good test for this though that you could do at home...

In any case, as has been mentioned above, star reduction on the OIII image might be the best way to get better results when combining.

Edit: This is the thread if you have an hour or two :-):

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/602155-testing-optolong-and-baader-narrow-band-ha-sii-filter/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

As pointed out, there was a possibility I got the filters wrong.

There was a 30 minute gap tonight so took Oiii Lum Ha Si

I think this speaks for itself. Somehow I must have used the lum filter.   Everyone was incredibly polite, basically I’m a muppet.

Thanks to everyone who inputed on the thread or via pm.

1B292457-7DF8-453B-94A7-8F1600EFE2D5.jpeg

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:46, AngryDonkey said:

Great that you managed to get this resolved. Better this outcome than a faulty filter! Have done quite a few similar things myself....

Mike

Pretty certain I didn't select the correct filter in APT sequencer!

Here is a really really quick combine of new Oiii data just to see, and straight away it looks more like it should!

Thanks for everyones help on the thread!

PACMAN_QUICK_WIP.jpg

Archived