Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helix Nebula (NGC7293) in HOO

glowingturnip

Here's my latest:

44241178575_1e12a45505_o.png

23x600s Ha + 16X900s OIII, darks, flats and bias,equipment as per sig, Pixinsight.

I actually started this last year as an HaLRGB, though looking back on that now, it was a bit of a fight against noise, so this one I ended up not using most of the LRGB and just went bicolour.  There's a little RGB left for the star colour, but then they're a pretty dull bunch of stars so no colour showing anyway.  In fact the whole object is so dim that you couldn't see anything at all in the unstretched subs.

HaLRGB:

24570193318_8aba0632a9_z.jpg

And then there's this, just in time for Halloween:

44243540855_5608605f45_o.png

Hope you enjoy !

34 minutes ago, glowingturnip said:

Thanks both.

@Hallingskies - no, I'm afraid not, my imaging rig is Southern Spain, and even then it's low on the (hilly) horizon, I probably get about 3-4 hours from rise to set

@Rodd -it's a decent size actually, my pic is about 30 arcmin I think, but it is very faint and definitely needs Ha to get anything

Yes, had I looked at your signature properly I would have realised that! ?. Even so, the Helix still doesn't get that that high in the sky, even in Southern Spain, so a great effort. I have managed to image it from the UK but I wouldn’t waste anyone’s time here by posting the result☹️.

In terms of the object size, I was on holiday in Almeria and was amazed to be able to sweep up the Helix in 8x50 bins.  Prior to that thought it was a “small” object that I would have no chance of finding, but I was rather surprised to find that visually it seemed to be a faint but distinct smoky disc about half the size of the full moon.  The power of truly dark skies...

Archived