Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep20_banner.thumb.jpg.c34e90166f1f5aa93f5211765a962cda.jpg

My effort from Derry last night - once I remembered to remove the cover from the field flattener. Doh.

I know the North America Nebula is done to death, but this is my first time imaging it, and also my first time trying the Triad filter with my Nikon. I'm in the middle of the city but I was able to take 5 min subs! I processed in PixInsight, but didn't even have to do background extraction. I used photometric colour calibration to restore natural colour and then just did a bit of mild tinkering. I'm impressed by the Triad filter on my first try.

Comments welcome - maybe I should try a star mask and try to bring out star colours?

Barry

22 X 5 min subs - 1hr 50min integration

PixInsight for calibration / registration / processing

Mount - Vixen AXD2

Scope - TEC 180FL

Camera - Nikon D750

NGC 7000 North America Nebula integration_photometric colour cal_curves.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely image and impressive results from the Triad filter. Did you get direct from OPT? 

Dave

That's nice. Can't give any advice about the processing as i use PS mainly but i suppose more data may help with the star colour. Looks really clean for just under two hours. 

Maybe getting some short rgb subs for the stars would be the way to go.

It's an interesting filter, i have one of those duo narrowband filters on the way to me. Should you be processing the channels individually then combining them again like a typical SHO image?

1 minute ago, Laurin Dave said:

Lovely image and impressive results from the Triad filter. Did you get direct from OPT? 

Dave

Thanks Dave, yeah, I got it direct from OPT. I don’t think there’s any other option at the moment.

Barry

5 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That's nice. Can't give any advice about the processing as i use PS mainly but i suppose more data may help with the star colour. Looks really clean for just under two hours. 

Maybe getting some short rgb subs for the stars would be the way to go.

It's an interesting filter, i have one of those duo narrowband filters on the way to me. Should you be processing the channels individually then combining them again like a typical SHO image?

That’s a good idea about the star colours - but it would mean significantly upping my game in PixInsight! I was so pleased with the Triad filter from a red zone, and similarly impressed with PI’s photometric colour calibration for restoring normal colour balance.

Barry

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xiga
      A few months back, i bought my first mono camera, an Atik 383l+ from Martin @Xsubmariner off here. I hadn't had a chance to give it a whirl until last night. 
      I thought about getting the 80ED out, but i've been wanting to do some widefield stuff for a while, so i attached an old Tamron 135mm F2.8 vintage M42 lens i picked up last year for next to nothing. The lens needs to be stopped down to F5.6 (perhaps less, i haven't tested though) to produce acceptable stars in broadband, but i was hoping it could be used more wide open for Narrowband. I used step-down rings screwed on to the end of the lens hood to bring the aperture down to 37mm, which is about F3.65 (i did briefly try it wide open in Ha, and it wasn't that bad tbh, but i could still make out some comet-shaped stars in a few places so i opted to stop it down a bit to play it safe). I have a TS Optics filter drawer in the optical train, so i can still swap out filters without too much fuss. I still have about 3-4mm of extra backfocus space to spare, but i can already find focus as it is, so i'm not sure if it's that important that i haven't fully used it all up.
      Focusing was tough. I was focusing using a Bahtinov mask on Deneb, and i had to use 10s subs (subframes) at 2x2 bin to get bright enough spikes for Bahtinov Grabber to pick up to the spikes ok. Even then, it was showing the focus error moving about quite a bit, even without me touching the focus ring. In the end i just got it as close as i could and went with it.
      Conditions were not great. Some clear spells, but there was a lot of cloud passing through. I figures it would be good enough for a test session. The Phd guide graph looked horrific, and was somewhere in the 1-2" range (image scale is 8.4" so not a big deal hopefully). I bodged together a couple of old dovetails to add enough weight to counter-balance the 5Kg counterweight. It just about does. It's not perfect by any means, but hopefully sufficient for this purpose. 
      I would ideally like to shoot 1200s subs, but couldn't last night due to the constant clouds (Phd lost the guide star countless times). I was about to give up, but persisted and aimed for 600s subs. Glad i did, as i ended up with 6 useable subs, even if a couple were affected by some thin cloud. 
      Did a quick stack in APP and a 10 min process in PS, just to get a rough idea of what i can expect from this. I used Flats and a couple of Darks just to do a rough calibration. Didn't do any gradient reduction, was in too much of a hurry after packing up last night. Overall i'm fairly pleased with how it performed. I'm obviously not aiming for Samyang 135mm F2 levels of performance here, but for purely NB bi-colour mosaics i think it can do a job. 
      I've included a picture of the rig below as well, in case anyone's interested.
      CS.
      6 x 600s (1 Hr)
      Atik 383l+  2" Baader Ha 7nm
      Tamron Adaptall2 135mm F2.8 (@F3.65)

• By EyeGuy
      This was 3 night's work with a Takahashi Sky 90 on a self-guiding Vixen SXP mount from the back yard. I used a triad filter on a Canon EOS Ra at ISO 800.
      157 x 5 min subs = 13 hours integration time (my longest yet by far)
      Processed in PI and PS. I drizzled again (sorry Vlad - I just can't help myself) and was pretty happy with the level of detail from a 407mm FL.
      The wide shots show a fair bit of astigmatism in the corners - but I thought the Sky 90 did pretty well. The Vixen SXP is a dream to use - it's lovely to be able to do the entire thing without a laptop. Annoyingly I had the mount in the wrong mode (Dec off) for 2 nights so the stars are a bit eggy, but I didn't have the heart to throw out the data.
      I think the smallest crop is a bit reminiscent of the dementers in Harry Potter.
      Barry
      * Edit - I had another go at reprocessing this. I think I left the originals far too muted. I redid them as LRGB, with the red channel (HA really) as the luminance layer).
      Thoughts anyone? Better before of after?
      Barry

• By EyeGuy
      I found a new spot in the garden, more shielded from street lights, so this was taken with no filters a couple of nights ago, under bortle 6 skies.
      5 min subs X 32 = 160 min integration time
      Processed in PI and Photoshop.
      Barry

• By EyeGuy
      This is from a couple of nights ago.
      It clouded in quickly, so I didn't get much data. The temp was 2C, and I'm self-isolating - so that was also a factor! I only took 5 darks before I gave up and went to bed. I'll take more when the temp is right.
      This is 140 min integration time on a new Canon EOS Ra with 17x500s exposures, and no filter (from the city).
      Processed in PI and Photoshop - I should have used more star masks but the data aren't good enough to warrant the effort I think. I also had difficulty with flats - I tried a range of exposures with a Gerd Neumann panel, but I think they were all too short. Will go longer than 0.3s next time - very hard to figure out flat exposure on DSLRs, and APT's tool doesn't work for DSLRs yet.
      I think I'm obsessed with M51 - and I know I'll be back to it again.
      Stay safe everyone,
      Barry

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.