SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Autoguider

Stu1smartcookie

I want to buy an auto guider to use with my z73 which is placed on an eq5 which I have upgraded by installing two tracking motors . I am looking at the Celestron auto guider because it doesn’t need a laptop to be connected , to operate . The question I have is , as the motors are not originally built into the mount and there is no port on the mount for the auto guider to connect to , will it need to be connected to the handset ? There is a port on the handset that has the word “guide” above it . Am I right in assuming that the cable will link with the handset that came with the motors and consequently “do it’s job” and keep alignment on a star . Sorry if this seems a bit of an obvious one to everyone. Maybe someone has experience of  guiders that do not need the use of a laptop , and or connecting one to a mount with auxiliary tracking devices fitted 

Slightly off topic but I would urge you to reconsider your choice of autoguiding solution. These self-contained autoguiders do work ( I have reviewed two different types) but they are much more fiddly to use than a guide camera and PC solution and, there are other advantages to having a PC (laptop) outside with you like imaging camera control, mount control etc. as well as the autoguiding function.

Whichever route you take, I wish you good luck with it!

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

it will be my next purchase ! ( in a never ending line of purchases lol ) 

Welcome to astrophotography! :)

If you want to avoid dragging a laptop outside, you should consider the Raspberry Pi based solutions:

• Lin-guider (simplest to use) (requires configured Raspberry Pi)
  • PHD2 (requires configured Raspberry Pi)
  • ASIAIR (only works with ZWO cameras, I believe)
  • StellarMate

The last two are the more expensive options, but should work out of the box.

Thanks for the replies , guys .. the first problem I have is that I don’t have a laptop (we have a desktop ) so the reason for using an auto guider without a pc was that it is a  cheaper option . ( although I’m now looking at laptops ... will the purchasing ever cease ???) . I researched these “all in one “ cameras and they do seem to have their problems , although some say they work well . It’s an area of astronomy that I would really like to get into but I’m not sure if I can justify the price of a new computer , especially after buying two scopes and an eq5 with tracking motors ! Plus all the camera extras and a field flattener .. ( I hope my wife’s not keeping count lol ) . But with that said , I think I may well take your advice steppenwolf . In the long run I think it’s the practical solution . So , thanks again . 

As Wim has said, if you go the raspberry Pi3 route, you can have all that a laptop will give you for a much reduced cost, which could even then be networked\controlled from your PC.

BUT, there is also then the steep learning curve of a new OS ? \ system to get your head around, but you'll find plenty of help here....

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

BUT, there is also then the steep learning curve of a new OS ? \ system to get your head around, but you'll find plenty of help here....

Probably much less so for the ASIAIR and StellarMate. These should pretty much work out of the box. The ASIAIR has a tablett app to control from. I don't know if ZWO has developed a client program for Windows. StellarMate can be controlled from Kstars under windows, or Ekos Live (web app). Both at a cost of about £ 150 - 170. More expensive than a Pi, but easier, and cheaper than a new laptop.

As far as standalone autoguiders are concerned, the one that is used most common, and which just works (it seems) is the Lacerta Mgen.

Btw, the Skywatcher SynGuider and the Celestron autoguider are probably the same system behind the peel off label, as both companies are part of the Synta group.

Archived