SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telrad ?

Hi 

I use a Dob and have never had anything else on the scope, it’s very hard locating things and I want to ask is a telrad my best option, or something else, also why are telrads good ?  But I need something as it’s frustrating at times.

woukd be nice to find things with ease.

so what’s my best options ? 

Thank you 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Telrad is the best and easiest to use red dot type finder period. Way over sized yes but just works so well.

On a dob I prefer the combination of a Telrad and a 9x50 optical finder preferably the right angle erect image type. The Telrad gets you close and then the 9x50 gets you spot on.

D6DBFA87-CD8A-4ACC-AA41-25567FA71AF8.jpeg

Agreed, a Telrad is a must have for Dob observing. I use nothing else on mine although I do have a finder scope for it, It is an unnecessary weight

You can, if desired, use the rings on the Telrad bullseye as a size guide and in conjunction with some star maps, but I just accurately line mine up on a bright star and a high power EP, and then use it as a finder and pointer. Incredibly intuitive, and simple to use.

The only negative really, apart from the large size which is mostly empty space, is that the lens is prone to dewing up. You can get caps to alleviate this, and I have just bought a Telrad specific dew heater which is a U shaped circuit board with lots of resistors wired in. Haven't had a really dewy night yet to test it on, but first impressions seem OK with it. That does require a dew controller and 12V DC power source of course.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The Telrad is the best and easiest to use red dot type finder period. Way over sized yes but just works so well.

On a dob I prefer the combination of a Telrad and a 9x50 optical finder preferably the right angle erect image type. The Telrad gets you close and then the 9x50 gets you spot on.

D6DBFA87-CD8A-4ACC-AA41-25567FA71AF8.jpeg

That’s a great setup 

I’ve seen prices from £37.99 to £65 for a telrad, are they all the same and are there naff copies floating about ? 

The £37.99 one is from 365 astronomy are they good site are anyone seen them cheaper ? 

Although not a dob owner, I would rate the telrad as one of the best astro=investments I have ever made. It is the only finder I have ever managed to use under my LP and, even though only used when I'm aligning my GOTO, I would not be without it.

That said, if OP finds it is "very hard locating things" and "frustrating" to use the telrad, I would say, particularly as it is a dob, find something that you find easier to use. Are there any meets near you that you can attend and check out some options in practice before buying?

3 hours ago, Tonyhaz said:

Thanks for your reply’s, and agree they a big for what’s inside, could easily make them half the size if not smaller.

but I’ll definitely get one.

thsnks again 

Somebody thought exactly the same thing!

I think the length is mainly so that it lines up more accurately and easily on the scope, might be wrong though!

44 minutes ago, John said:

Love the Rigel Quickfinder myself. I've used one on my 12" dob alongside the 9x50 RACI finder for a few years now. Super combination :thumbright:

oo12dob02.JPG

That focuser looks really substantial and solidly connected to the ota, what make is it?

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Should have a poll on which people prefer. Telrad or Rigel. 

I’ve tried to like the Rigel as it is light and compact but simply couldn’t stand it. Just don’t get on with it at all. Horrible thing.  ☠️

I've got both. I have a Rigel on my C8 and although it is lighter and smaller I prefer the Telrad as it seems to be easier to pick up the red circles with the Telrad. With the Rigel I find myself weaving my head around a bit to find them. That said its not a major problem and both are great - I would never want go back to dot finders.

I'm going to stick up for the plucky little now-you-see-me-noe-you-dont rigel Quikfinder. Because I've got one ☺. It was cheaper and smaller than the telrad, which is why I bought it. I have an extra 3d-printed base, which together with the two that come with it means I can easily mount it on any of my 150PDS, 1145p or ST80. Yes, I once changed the batteries because I thought I had left it on, only to find I wasn't looking straight up the OTA, but surely that's part of the fun? ? Like most of the rest of my astro kit, now I have learnt how to use it properly I am very happy with it. 

I wouldn't argue that the telrad wasn't better, though.

Mind you, you have to pay even more if you want a flashing reticule on a telrad and the rigel has it built-in.

(And to preserve you brnight vision, you can look through the rigel without being able to see the reticule at all! ?

Ady 

1 hour ago, Paz said:

That focuser looks really substantial and solidly connected to the ota, what make is it?

It's a Moonlight CR2 with the fitting kit for a 10" newtonian (Orion Optics tubes are narrower than other brands)

I've owned and used Telrads and like them (except when they dew up) but for this scope I wanted to minimise the weight at the top end of the tube and the Rigel weighs less.

Whats more important than the brand of finder(s) I think is that you get used to it, and get confident with it and how it works with the sky, your scope and the star charts that you use :smiley:

I have other RDF / illuminated reticule finders and other optical finders on my other scopes. I find them all effective because I've used them a lot ! 

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ve tried to like the Rigel as it is light and compact but simply couldn’t stand it. Just don’t get on with it at all. Horrible thing.  ☠️

Love my Telrad end of!

I use it as my primary finder and back it up with my RACI when I want to enhance the detail and viewing at the azimuth 

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I had the same issue. Really had a hard time 'seeing' through it. It looked like you really need to position your head 'the right way'. At the end I figured it out that you have to take a step back and look through it. All fine since then ;)

Just come in from a session.  Used the Rigel on my Dob.  Takes only a second or so to see the rings then centre a target star in them.  Maybe it helps by having the Rigel right at the end of the OTA.  Well it does for me.  Love it!!

Doug.

Archived