Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Pete Presland

A late season Saturn session to be pleaesed with!

Saturn has been a tricky target all year from the UK. Considering how late in season it is for Saturn I was very pleased with the end results!

I hadn't expected anything other than the usual "wobbly" seeing, when I left my scope down the bottom of the garden after imaging Venus in the afternoon. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a fairly stable image, some decent detail on the surface and a sharply defined Cassini gap. At an altitude of around 12 degrees!

All the images are with my C9.25.

The 1st is with an Asi290mm and 742 Proplanet filter. The 2nd and 3rd with an Asi224mc OSC camera. They are never going to make any casual viewer go WOW I guess, but they are probably my best Saturn images for 2 years ?  I have kept the processing to a minimum to try and retain as natural a look as possible.

Currently processing the Mars data.

2094591614_2018_10_0418.13742proplanet.png.2a3b330eac8c2576262e2f487aaf4ee8.png

492496621_2018_10_0418.43RGBOSC.png.d4a2a602abfe349a905a8b18286e1237.png

1770948900_2018_10_0418.28RGBOSC.png.63db4e807017d52acf9ddc537f5141a5.png

• Like 8

That’s the Saturn shot I hope to get one day, when I get a better cam of course lol.

• Like 1

Those are some awesome pics, Pete. I slacked off imaging Saturn after opposition. It's still putting on a great show in the EP, and in your images, too!

Bravo!

Reggie :) 

• Like 1

I only imaged at last night, because I am off work today. Everything seemed to point to poor seeing, the jet stream was over the UK, it was windy, it had been pretty warm. The planets are obviously sill very low.

But surprise, surprise it was pretty decent ?

Edited by Pete Presland
  • Like 1