SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Veil gets its tail!

ollypenrice

In a senior moment a couple of years ago I framed this up wrongly as a two-panel and cropped a tiny - but irksome! - bit off the looping tail at the bottom. I shot 6 hours of data (3 hours in the Twin Tak) last night to enable me to fix it, as shown below.

The image is in Ha OIII RGB and has about 30 hours of data. Dual Tak 106/Atik11000/Mesu 200.

I think the uneven colour of the background sky is genuine, with brownish dust to the right, but I can't be certain. 

1954061257_VEILFULLLOOPwebsmaller.jpg.771fd82bff71b6524562e9e29b829818.jpg

EDIT: Improved version further down the thread.

Olly

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Superb image Olly...feint whispy parts I've never seen before..

Thanks. I did have a new idea, quite near the end, for teasing out the very faint signal. It's early days for experimenting but if I can make it work consistently I'll post up the method.

Olly

This is really interesting to see outside of the more usually presented narrowband image........  I suppose that we get so used to seeing things presented in a certain way that it's odd to see it differently. I have to say that I am finding it quite strange, when I am so used to seeing the dust that you have as red in the usual presentation. What filter did you use for the dust representation? Ha?

8 minutes ago, swag72 said:

This is really interesting to see outside of the more usually presented narrowband image........  I suppose that we get so used to seeing things presented in a certain way that it's odd to see it differently. I have to say that I am finding it quite strange, when I am so used to seeing the dust that you have as red in the usual presentation. What filter did you use for the dust representation? Ha?

Most of the dust is just RGB Sara, but there has indeed been something strange about this image, for me, from the start and I'm working on a redo. As usual I'm trying to go 'narrowband deep' but in natural colour and it's proving difficult!

Olly

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Most of the dust is just RGB Sara, but there has indeed been something strange about this image, for me, from the start and I'm working on a redo. As usual I'm trying to go 'narrowband deep' but in natural colour and it's proving difficult!

Olly

I think it would be interesting to try luminance ....... It's just not quite sitting right for me at this point but I'm finding it hard to pinpoint......

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

In a senior moment a couple of years ago I framed this up wrongly as a two-panel and cropped a tiny - but irksome! - bit off the looping tail at the bottom. I shot 6 hours of data (3 hours in the Twin Tak) last night to enable me to fix it, as shown below.

The image is in Ha OIII RGB and has about 30 hours of data. Dual Tak 106/Atik11000/Mesu 200.

I think the uneven colour of the background sky is genuine, with brownish dust to the right, but I can't be certain. 

1954061257_VEILFULLLOOPwebsmaller.jpg.771fd82bff71b6524562e9e29b829818.jpg

Olly

Holy smokes that's a lot of dust! I love seeing it all in one big Fov. Amazing to behold. 

I struggled with the background colour in my Eastern Veil pic so I think you might be right on that one. I'm hoping to get a smaller mosaic of this soon (sans tail). Thanks for the inspiration! ?

4 hours ago, swag72 said:

I think it would be interesting to try luminance ....... It's just not quite sitting right for me at this point but I'm finding it hard to pinpoint......

This is what Tom said when we started out on the original and I'm now inclined to agree. It would lift the RGB before the NB was applied. However, I've tried to 'de-strange' the blighter for the moment. How's this? I knew you'd say this, by the way, and am glad you did because it gave me a kick in the pants. Thanks!

1282292479_CYGNUSLOOPHaOIIIRGBweb.thumb.jpg.12386c4adb8657e088aa04d1ceb1b9bc.jpg

I have to say that I much prefer the second version, Olly - the original wasn't hitting the spot for me although I did appreciate that you were working hard on extracting that background. This second image has a much better 'balance' to it.

Archived