Shall we get rid of the moon?

Radman40

Shall we get rid of the moon?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we keep the moon?

• Yes I want to keep the moon.
    • No vaporise it!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/10/18 at 17:17

I love looking at the moon in my telescope or just hanging in the sky on a frosty winters night. But then again it spoils so many other observations like deep sky or meteors. Ignoring the loss of earth based influneces like tides etc would we be better off without the moon?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lose an object with endless fascinating and constantly changing detail, the likes of which cannot be observed with anything else up there?  And even at its brightest, there are still other wonders that can be enjoyed.  This hobby would be seriously diminished without Luna!

Doug.

I think FLO sell moon switches, similar principle to a light switch, and they work a treat !!! However, I think someone living near me also bought one because as soon as I switch it off it immediately comes back on again ?

But in answer to your question.... we do need the Moon ?

12 minutes ago, Alfian said:

If we got rid of the moon a big section of my astro library would become worthless.

Not to mention this month's Sky at Night moon poster!

The word lunatic wouldn't exist either.

12 minutes ago, Craney said:

So not by Werewolves then....    but how ??     ( is it boring gravity and orbital distances ??)

Didn't you know that if the Moon ever goes away all the Werewolves appear at the same time and eat everyone?

Or perhaps the Earth starts to wobble like a spinning top, the tides stop flowing, the weather patterns go nuts, the food chain collapses and we are all either toasted alive or freeze to death.

I think I prefer being eaten by a Werewolf ? 

24 minutes ago, DRT said:

I think I prefer being eaten by a Werewolf ? 

Time for some   Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band  then .....

Of course,  no Lunar companion would make a few popular music classics  kinda meaningless......

"Bad Moon Rising"  ...... nope !.....

"Blue Moon" ....... nah!!

"Moondance"...... try again....

My girlfriend can't come out with me because her boss is making her work late- so I go out with her boss instead and I quite like it but not as much as going out with my girlfriend. That's how I feel about observing the moon.

(Don't tell my wife about my imaginary girlfriend)

Romanced is almost extinct  on earth today. Many a lover has posed the big question under a full moon. I fear it would be the death knell of love on planet earth altogether   should beautiful Selene  cease to exist. Besides, the Oceanic maps of Earth will need a huge overhaul.

Let's keep the silver Orb revolving around our messed up planet. It gives us something to look up to when terrestrial glare kills everything else.?

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Lose an object with endless fascinating and constantly changing detail, the likes of which cannot be observed with anything else up there?  And even at its brightest, there are still other wonders that can be enjoyed.  This hobby would be seriously diminished without Luna!

Doug.

Attaboy  Doug, I could not put it any better !!:icon_salut:

5 hours ago, DRT said:

Unfortunately we would all be dead in a month without it, so I think we should keep it.

But we could paint it black?

use the new blacker than black paint and only one side

That would prevent a not so friendly neighbor from saying, " Oh look that idiot's looking at the Moon again " he even says it loud enough so I can hear it firsthand. 

Poor guy I don't think he knows the names of any other objects up there, so we have to keep it not for me but for him. I woulden't want to seem selfish and say we have to keep it just because I'm so obsessed with it ?

Keep the moon but a switch turn off the sun ?
Things might get a lil frosty, but hey night skies all around, no clouds, low pollution, no crazy jiggling atmosphere. What’s not to like for us dedicated astronomers ? ?

PS Edit . Oh... unless you are an solar astronomer ... then I offer my sincerest deepest apologies all around ...  ?

Archived