Narrowband

Screw on macro lens as webcam objective?

furrysocks2

Ever in search of silly things to try with inadequate cameras...

I've got 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 inch sensors, all mono and nothing particularly special. I've been playing around with a 50mm CCTV lens which is giving me about 5 degrees fov on one of them.

I enjoyed imaging the moon on my big dob at 1635mm focal length, but it's cumbersome and a lot of work. The 50mm has never been pointed at the moon but there's little point. I was looking around at c-mount lenses of longer focal lengths but could go simpler.

I stumbled across screw on macro lenses, which often come as sets of +1, +2, +4 and +10 diopter. I understand the focal length is 1000/diopter, so 1000mm, 500mm, 250mm and 100mm, respectively. They are also available at various diameters, 67mm, 72mm, etc... and cheap. I guess these are single element, and never intended to be used alone. Chromatic aberration might not be an issue if I were to image, for example through a ZWO 850nm bandpass filter. I guess the longer the focal length and the smaller the sensor, the more likely I am to get a flat image?

I've seen kits with a few ND filters, lens hood, carrying pouch, etc for £20 or so, or single lenses for just a few quid. So I'm wondering what would happen sticking one of these in front of a sensor.

Dunno - anyone got any comments?

• furrysocks2 changed the title to Screw on macro lens as webcam objective?

Archived