Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

I bought my first telescope last year (Celestron Nextar Evo 8), I've used it several times already and never had any problem with moving it/putting it together. 

Last night I was out doing some photography with my scope and at one point my glove came in contact with the corrector plate. I noticed a small smudge when I came back in.

As it's my first scope I've tried to be very careful and got a little scared that it would affect the performance of it. Looking for a professional opinion on this. Does this need to be cleaned? Will it make a difference in my photography/visual?

Added two pictures.20181004_160254.jpg.ca66c979b7c2ee1a15d7d6e9f8a2a9f7.jpg20181004_113342.jpg.0d1e798d8dcf58a28f51796c8a659ead.jpg

Regards Brant 

It won't significantly impact on the performance, look how big the central "smudge" is and you can't see that in use. However, the new smudge should be easy to clean. Dip a cotton wool ball into a cup of warm water that has a small drop of washing up liquid mixed with it and then, with the corrector facing upwards slowly drag the ball across the affected area with just the weight of the ball as pressure. A couple of goes with this, using a fresh ball each time, should remove it. Afterwards repeat the operation with some fresh distilled water.  Good luck.    ?

When you say a smudge, can you say a bit more? Reason I ask is that it's hard to tell from the photo, with the way the light is hitting it - looks to me more like a piece of cloth or a scratch (don't panic, sure it's not!) or something. Assuming it is some kind of material do you know what it is?

If it were me I'd be thinking about cleaning it (the corrector coatings are not that delicate) but if it's a big blob of grease or something I'd want to be very careful not to spread it around.

If you do decide to clean it I'd start with a blower (not compressed gas) and then maybe a soft brush (a lens cleaning one). After that lens tissues (wipe once with each and disposee) and a spot of Baader optical wonder fluid for stubboorn bits. Just take your time and be very caseful not to rub anything you lift off over the mirror, as little grainy bits of dust can leave scratches.

Seriously, it'll be fine.

Billy.

Thanks for quick response.

I am fairly certain that it is grease. I am going to try with cotton ball with distilled water and some washing up liquid. I do not have a blower and think I am going to wait before I have this so I can remove the majority of dust. Hopefully no scratches are hiding under there. Will definitely be more careful in the future.

It will be enough to clean just the 'smudge' correct? I wont have to clean the whole corrector plate (if it's a matter of making it even)?

Brant.

I have just got the Evo 9.25 and completely understand your feelings about the optics, it's almost like a paranoia isn't it? I started of with a six inch Newtonian, which felt much safer when handling. Nice to see there are easy options and it is not quite as fragile as I feared.

That whole set of optics so exposed at the front is disturbing to my tranquillity! ?

Archived