Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Hello

I bought my first telescope last year (Celestron Nextar Evo 8), I've used it several times already and never had any problem with moving it/putting it together. 

Last night I was out doing some photography with my scope and at one point my glove came in contact with the corrector plate. I noticed a small smudge when I came back in.

As it's my first scope I've tried to be very careful and got a little scared that it would affect the performance of it. Looking for a professional opinion on this. Does this need to be cleaned? Will it make a difference in my photography/visual?

Added two pictures.20181004_160254.jpg.ca66c979b7c2ee1a15d7d6e9f8a2a9f7.jpg20181004_113342.jpg.0d1e798d8dcf58a28f51796c8a659ead.jpg

Regards Brant 

It won't significantly impact on the performance, look how big the central "smudge" is and you can't see that in use. However, the new smudge should be easy to clean. Dip a cotton wool ball into a cup of warm water that has a small drop of washing up liquid mixed with it and then, with the corrector facing upwards slowly drag the ball across the affected area with just the weight of the ball as pressure. A couple of goes with this, using a fresh ball each time, should remove it. Afterwards repeat the operation with some fresh distilled water.  Good luck.    😀

• Like 1

When you say a smudge, can you say a bit more? Reason I ask is that it's hard to tell from the photo, with the way the light is hitting it - looks to me more like a piece of cloth or a scratch (don't panic, sure it's not!) or something. Assuming it is some kind of material do you know what it is?

If it were me I'd be thinking about cleaning it (the corrector coatings are not that delicate) but if it's a big blob of grease or something I'd want to be very careful not to spread it around.

If you do decide to clean it I'd start with a blower (not compressed gas) and then maybe a soft brush (a lens cleaning one). After that lens tissues (wipe once with each and disposee) and a spot of Baader optical wonder fluid for stubboorn bits. Just take your time and be very caseful not to rub anything you lift off over the mirror, as little grainy bits of dust can leave scratches.

Seriously, it'll be fine.

Billy.

Thanks for quick response.

I am fairly certain that it is grease. I am going to try with cotton ball with distilled water and some washing up liquid. I do not have a blower and think I am going to wait before I have this so I can remove the majority of dust. Hopefully no scratches are hiding under there. Will definitely be more careful in the future.

It will be enough to clean just the 'smudge' correct? I wont have to clean the whole corrector plate (if it's a matter of making it even)?

Brant.

Edited by Brant

I have just got the Evo 9.25 and completely understand your feelings about the optics, it's almost like a paranoia isn't it? I started of with a six inch Newtonian, which felt much safer when handling. Nice to see there are easy options and it is not quite as fragile as I feared.

That whole set of optics so exposed at the front is disturbing to my tranquillity! 🤔

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sprouty
      HI 
      I'm a complete beginner and have a similar question.  I'm thinking of buying a Celestron astro fi 130mm newtonian telescope what would I expect to see and what clarity? https://www.celestron.com/products/astro-fi-130mm-newtonian-telescope
      Can't wait to get a telescope and explore the skies.
      Thanks loads
      David
    • By masjstovel
      Hi,

I'm totally New to this hobby and i'm having trouble understanding something in stellarium.
      I have ordered (not recieved) a Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PDS, which has a 25mm eyepiece 50degrees FOV as a default.
      I also have a Nikon D810.

I wanted to get an idea of what my field of view would be with the 25mm eyepiece (30x on 750mm focal length), 
      and also what it would be With my Nikon D810 mounted shooting prime Focus - no eyepieces.

What surprised me was that it wasnt much difference between the frame and size of the object i get with 30x magnification (25mm eyepiece), and what i get with the Nikon D810 mounted. 
      I dont get this. What magnification do i get With my DSLR mounted with no eyepiece?

• By masjstovel
      Hi,

I am looking at buying one of these, and need some guidance.
      Celestron Nexstar 4 SE
      Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P Synscan AZ GOTO
      Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT MAK

I ended up With these 3 Choices mostly because of the cost I am willing to do the first time, and it seems like they have some abilities (motorized with GoTo-options)
      Priority 1: I want to observe nebulas, and galaxies (i.e. Andromeda)  on a decent "zoom" and focus.
      Priority 2: I want to do astrophotography.

I've read elsewhere on the forum than its preferable to have an equatorial mount for astrophotography. As far as i can see none of the above have that, even if Celestron Nexstar 4SE is promoting astrophotography on the product info. Or have i misunderstood here and one of the above has an equatorial mount?
      The Product info on the Celestron Nexstar 4 SE says it has Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South. Does this mean it has both options, az-al and equatorial mount?.

I think should add that i consider myself at least an "above beginner"-photographer, and Photoshop user. I use NIKON D810 - is this even mountable on one of the telescopes mentioned here?
      I also have the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer mini. Can i setup one of the telescopes mentioned with this and call it a telescope with equatorial mount? 

I guess some of these questions might seem stupid to you, but I just dont know alot regarding telescopes yet:)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      I recently acquired a used CPC800 SCT. I thought a 'First Light' report might be of interest.
      First impressions: the tripod is a heavy duty affair with thick legs, a folding lower spreader and a big cast alloy eyepiece tray/steady.  The OTA/fork assembly (not separable) is very heavy (21Kg/44lbs) but has a couple of grab handles. You need to be fit to handle this. 😕 (I was seriously tempted not to go ahead with the purchase after trying the weight.)
      With the legs retracted it is just possible to pass the tripod through a standard doorway, but it is just as easy to pull up the lower spreader and carry it folded. It is much heavier than a C8SE tripod but more comparable with a EQ5 tripod in weight.  Once in position, I checked the level with the handy built-in bubble level and left it.  I forgot to screw up the eyepiece tray/upper spreader but I don't think this made any difference. 
      Scope stored on a table with faceplate down and rear handle uppermost. Took the weight with my left arm, elbow fully bent, forearm vertical.  Got it on the tripod which took the weight till I got the base to drop over the centre pin, spun it till something clicked into place and then did up the three thumbscrews.   I would not try this with an equatorial wedge unless I had a helper.   Celestron also sell a CPC 9.25 and CPC1100 - if I had one of those I'd need a sheerlegs or a brawny assistant.😲
      Fitted the visual back (same as C8 SE), prism diagonal (same as C8 SE), straight-thru 50mm finder, handset (Nexstar+) and handset bracket which holds it facing rearwards (a handy feature not implemented on the C8 SE). Fitted a 25mm X-Cel LX that came as an extra.
      Connected my new lithium powertank and its DC cable, and powered up. It comes ready (CPC Ready) very quickly. Selected 2-star auto align - it whizzed past a time display showing the time ahead of my watch by 1 hour - more on this later.  Aimed at Arcturus and afjusted the finder aim. Selected Capella - it nearly got there and then blackout!  The cable had snagged and pulled on the plug. I ran the cable through the side handle on the fork and tried again.  (It appears that the CPC's supplied cable has a locking ring and the other end has a cigarette lighter style plug.) Capella ... Arcturus .. aligned.  Told it to find Mizar (named star menu).  It did. 
      Also found M48, the Ghost of Jupiter planetary, Gamma Leo (split ), 54 leo, 88 Leo, 90Leo.  The scope appears to be collimated and resolution OK.  GoTo is just accurate enough to drop doubles into the bottom of 9mm X-Cel Lx field.  Even at 200x and a gusty night the view is rock steady. A pier mount could hardly be stiffer than this! And no obvious backlash in use (unlike C8 SE).
      Fiddled with the menu, found the GPS is obviously working, and the time set for daylight saving.   Corrected it to standard time. GoTo still works.
      Teardown: tube horizontal, power off, tube cap on, diagonal off, handset and bracket off, left visual back on and capped it, loosened clutch to point tube straight down.  Got OTA/fork assembly off and back indoors on table, twirled it into position.  Folded up tripod and carried it indoors. I would not try carrying the tripod and scope together.
      Verdict: Very solid mount should be good for planetary imaging.  Some nice features not on C8 SE, otherwise same optical performance.  Alarming weight.
    • By Stardweller
      Hello,
      I own a Vixen ED-80 refractor which is used with a custom focuser by Telescope Service.
      (pictured below)
      A Celestron f/6 SCT reducer corrector did not provide decent images either because it is not appropriate or because I did not maintain the correct distance. 
      I am thinking of buying the Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener instead, as it is made for similar ED80 telescopes. 
      I do not know what is the correct distance of the SkyWatcher reducer for my setup and more important, I do not know if it will focus with the custom TS focuser.
      Do you have any similar setup that you have used successfully?
      Clear Skies!
      Paul

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.