Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Independent Best telescopes....disappointment guaranteed

The reviews are compiled through a mix of expert opinion and real-world testing.

Hmmm. I highly doubt these were tested like some of the reviews imply.

On 04/10/2018 at 14:21, JamesF said:

Right!  That's it then!  I'm off to invent a telescope with a beard-warmer.

James

A beard warmer for the chin warmer. I like it ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/10/2018 at 20:19, lukebl said:

Just noticed this article in The Independent with their recommendations for the 9 best telescopes, presumably for beginners.

9 best telescopes

Their 'best buy'  is a 5" Celestron at £599. It's not even a GOTO, but can connect wirelessly to your phone. Let's face it, a beginner is going to be pretty disappointed after they've had reasonable views of the moon, maybe seen the Galilean Moons, just about made out Saturn's rings, and realise that they aren't going to see a wondrous array of colourful galaxies and nebulae after spending £600?

That'll put off anyone new to the hobby. I wonder who writes these reviews. You could do so much better for a lot less than £600.

I was about to get started with this new hobby and has bought this SW Mak 150/1800 .. Is my equipment is consider one of "The Independent's 9 Best Telescope" to be dissapointed?.

TQ

29 minutes ago, waruna said:

I was about to get started with this new hobby and has bought this SW Mak 150/1800 .. Is my equipment is consider one of "The Independent's 9 Best Telescope" to be dissapointed?.

TQ

That is a very nice scope ?  and it will be particularly good for the moon and planets.  Enjoy!

Helen

30 minutes ago, waruna said:

TQ

I, and many others, would consider the 150 Mak much better than most of the telescopes on that list.

42 minutes ago, Helen said:

That is a very nice scope ?  and it will be particularly good for the moon and planets.  Enjoy!

Helen

40 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I, and many others, would consider the 150 Mak much better than most of the telescopes on that list.

Ohh thank God ? .. Yeah I have heard abt my scope is good for planetary imaging but not for DSO. So yeah I’m ok with that. As a beginner DSO is still long way to go. Maybe can start with DSLR for that first.

Thank you Helen & Cornelius for your response. Appreciate it very much !

Archived