Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

US Manufactured Astronomy Products

FLO

Indications suggest sourcing US manufactured astronomy products might become more difficult, and more expensive. 

Recent US tariffs on aluminium has caused a rush of orders from US companies (buying before tariffs were applied) for Chinese raw aluminium. This has put significant pressure on the US mills that extrude aluminium, which is causing long wait times. And, when the pre-tariff aluminium has been used, the cost of aluminium in the US is likely to increase significantly. So we are expecting price increases. Edit: Some are saying the cost of raw aluminium is a relatively small part of a product's overall cost so perhaps retail prices won't be affected. 

If you are planning to buy a US-made astronomy product (i.e brands like ADM, MoonliteStarlight Instruments & Hotech) then we recommend you place your order soon. But please be prepared to wait several weeks (wait times are often long for US-sourced products and we suspect they will become longer). 

Please note this is only our interpretation of the situation. We might be wrong ? 

HTH, 

Steve 

I wonder if this will affect Chinese production or if they get first dibs on aluminium ?

On the bright side it should push the scrap ally price up much like the previous explosion in copper prices, I've got loads of ally offcuts, maybe I'll get enough to buy a scope :grin:

Dave

Methinks someone in equipment manufacturing might be using this as an excuse to fund their next yacht or ferrari.

Looking at an ADM dual mount assembly I have, there has to be a less than a tenner of aluminium (or aluminum for those in our former colony to the west) to make a £200 finished product.
So even if the raw material cost doubles, the impact on product price is minimal.

Historically the Japanese imported small quantities of of aluminium to make very expensive camera bodies. Scopes are no different.

Now an aluminium car body, other products that have a lot of pound weight of aluminium for pounds sterling are a different situation.

18 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Looking at an ADM dual mount assembly I have, there has to be a less than a tenner of aluminium (or aluminum for those in our former colony to the west) to make a £200 finished product.
So even if the raw material cost doubles, the impact on product price is minimal.

Someone has to pay for all those CNC machines :grin:

Must be an opening for an enterprising UK small business to set up in competition post the B word.

Dave

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Must be an opening for an enterprising UK small business to set up in competition post the B word.

Dave

The thought crossed my mind ... come to think of it I know a couple of chaps with enough CNC to build a small Airbus (I may be exaggerating).

@FLO is there a market for top quality UK-made accessories, given the inevitable competition from the East?

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Probably not if there are free trade deals with everyone as it will be difficult to compete against, even cheaper, manufactured imports.

The only area would be to find a real niche area but how long until it is copied?  If there was a larger market and less cloudy skies then possibly.

I agree with others in that the raw material prices should in reality have little or no overall impact on the manufactured price and we still have the Chinese products which will soon overtake the quality of any astro product that the US or anyone else can produce.

Alan

On 04/10/2018 at 18:15, Stub Mandrel said:

@FLO is there a market for top quality UK-made accessories, given the inevitable competition from the East?

We hope so because for a while now we have been quietly investing time, money and energy into developing a new range of accessories that will be manufactured here in the U.K. and sold under our Lynx Astro brand. We plan to release the first of them later this month. 

When able we do support U.K. companies and manufacturing. 

Steve 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

We hope so because for a while now we have been quietly investing our time, money and energy into developing a new range of accessories that will be manufactured here in the U.K. and sold under our Lynx Astro brand. We plan to release the first of them later this month. 

When able we do support U.K. companies and manufacturing. 

Steve 

That's great news Steve. Lynx Astro is a nice brand to use, it works well :)

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's great news Steve. Lynx Astro is a nice brand to use, it works well :)

Thank-you ?

Without giving too much away, products that are genuinely new and/or quantifiably better than existing products will be sold as Lynx Astro and, we hope, be manufactured here in the U.K. 

On 04/10/2018 at 13:25, Carbon Brush said:

Somebody has to pay the machinist (£40/hour)  capital depreciation on machine tools, etc.  I think you may be right any marginal increase in material cost may not hit the retail price much . 

Jim

Archived