SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ccd the use of field flattener /correcter

solarboy

Being a newbe on ccd imaging not sure what adapters to use  a field flattener /field flattener correcter help or hinder. 

I'm using a 80mm f6 triplet. 

314L atik 

Would any other lens or adapters help 

Any info or tips would be appreciated 

Solarboy 

If you have elongated stars in the corners of your images then a Field Flattener would help. The larger the sensor used the worse it becomes. For smaller sensors it may not be necessary.  

Correcters are normally coma correcters which are used on newtonian telescopes. Refractors shouldn't exhibit coma.

Focal Reducers  effectively reduce the focal length of your scope to give a wider field of view.

Field Flattenener / Reducers  combine a Focal Reducer with the Field Flattener in one package.

Alan

31 minutes ago, solarboy said:

Hi alan

I have a TV 2008 field flattener correcter that I used with my dslr would that be OK to use 

Solarboy 

If that's the TeleVue TRF2008,  it's a 0.8x Flattener / Reducer for scopes up to 600mm so should be fine. As Olly says the chip size of your camera may be small enough that the flattener aspect may not be required, but if you want a wider field of view It'll reduce your focal length from 480 to 384mm.

Alan 

• 1 month later...

Archived