SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer wedge modification

Astrofriend

Now the dark season has started for us who live in Sweden. Then we must have all our equipment in top condition.

I have one mini mount, the Star Adventurer, I'm very satisfaid with it. But you can always get it a little bit better. One small problem I have is that the altitude lock of the wedge slips. Maybe others of you also have this problem?

Here I have some photos and my attempt to get it better:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge.html

I will test if my modifications work in reality next clear sky.

/Lars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Teflon does seem a bit of a bizarre choice of material to use. If it was me, I think I would be inclined, (pun not intended), to use something like a Nord Lock washer, assuming they will fit. 

Info here ---> http://modelfixings.co.uk/nord_lock_washers.htm - other sizes do exist. I added the link to explain the principle of what they do.

Inspired by Lars and the persistent rain I've taken both washers out and put them on one side so it's metal to metal on the tensioner side.

Definitely better, tighten then adjust then really tighten and fine tweak. Feels pretty solid.

Hi,

Have just done an astrophotography night. Great clear sky and not too cold.

The altitude lock was better now but not perfect, until next time I shall have changed the other washer too, maybe test other material then plastic as well.

I have also test a new mechanical setup, earlier there wasn't enough space around the camera to have it aligned along the RA axis. With the new setup with the a big ball head I could do it, but added more weight, on the other hand I do not need the counter balance weight anymore.

I also did a very simple but big improvment of the polar scope. I don't have the specialmade red light, I just hold a red led lamp to the front of it. What I did now was just a white paper tube that I inserted at the front end of the polar scope, what a difference!

I do a new project page about that two modifications later.

/Lars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread after searching for wedge modifications as I'm very disappointed in mine. You get it all polar aligned then move the scope to your target and you can feel the wedge slip a bit ! The actual tracking unit is great but the wedge is very poor so much so I've been looking at alternative portable star trackers.

I have looked at speaker holders, the ones you set at the wall and hold the speakers. The lock mechanism is very good and stable. But miss the fine adjustment I need. I have also looked at wedges from other small telescopes, but no perfect one yet.

Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

It looks like William Optic are releasing a replacement wedge aimed at the Star Adventurer and iOptron equivalent.

William Optics Instgram Feed

Only details seem to be this post on their Instagram feed an hour ago. No price details at this point but it looks a very solid piece of kit.

Edited by ruskclark
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ruskclark said:

It looks like William Optic are releasing a replacement wedge aimed at the Star Adventurer and iOptron equivalent.

William Optics Instgram Feed

Only details seem to be this post on their Instagram feed an hour ago. No price details at this point but it looks a very solid piece of kit.

Hmm, interesting.

Good to see someone addressing the flimsiest link of the SWSA chain.

I'd be surprised if it's in the same price bracket as the Sky-Watcher offering, but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ended buying a Fornax Lightrack II. Yes it's twice the price but it's 100 times better, I'm getting 10min exposures with my WO61 and 600D and no guiding. 

Edited by SAW

49 minutes ago, SAW said:

I've ended buying a Fornax Lightrack II. Yes it's twice the price but it's 100 times better, I'm getting 10min exposures with my WO61 and 600D and no guiding. 

@SAW,What wedge are you using with that?

1 minute ago, SAW said:

The Fornax one, a bit pricey for what it is but zero play in it.

Very, very nice ? 

I've got to ask what tripod you're using as well, as it sounds like a dream grab and go...

Hi,

I like the Berlebach 212 tripod. I see that they also have other shorter models. I don't need it to be very tall. I remote control my camera from smartphone and then I see the display whatever angle the camera is pointed to. The last modification of my setup I added an angle viewer to the polar scope. I don't want the tripod to be more then 18" tall when packed on travel.

This is how I have my angled polarscope viewer setup:

http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-angled-viewfinder/project-star-adventurer-angled-viewfinder.html

Thanks a lot for that information.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

• 4 months later...

I have improved my skywatcher wedge. Using it on an Astrotrac but as others have said its really naff.

1. Replace the hex bolts with wing bolts for locking down

2. Remove slip washers. I cut two plates out of 1mm stainless sheet. Tin snips work but you could probably do this with garden cutters. Drill 6mm hole and fit in place of the washers.

3. Replace the plastic clamp handle with a spring washer and 10mm nut.

4. Tied a small ring spanner on a string tether to my tripod. That pulls it tight much much better.  Also adds some hand space while aligning.

5. Turn knob so above target position. Lower to precise alignment.  That stops any backlash in the wedge being an issue.

You shouldn't have to do these simple mods, a company surely can figure this out?  However, it now makes a low cost wedge useable for purpose.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,
I have made a test where I replaced the plastic shims with steel shims. Looks to make the wedge must more stable.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge.html

Now I just have to find steel shims that are a bit smaller then the shims I used to do this test.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The Manfrotto 410 junior geared head is quite good up to about a 5kg load but the 405 geared head is good for about 7 or 8kg. I’ve used both but remove the centre section to make them into alt-az heads.

Modded 405 head with Classical Casegrain 6”.

696BC355-22F0-4687-91CB-7BB072179827.jpeg

Edited by johninderby