Narrowband

IC1396 and darks around it

This is one of my 2018 summer holidays captures. The frame contains many hydrogen clouds (largest red blob is IC1396), and whole lot of dark nebulae. Bright yellow star at the IC1396 edge is mu Cephei - Garnet Star - one of the brightest known stars in the Galaxy. It is 350,000 times more luminous than Sun. 

Image is LRGBHO composition made with Samyang 135 lens, QHY163M camera and iOptron Smart EQ mount. It is about 3 hours of total exposure time.

2018-08-19-I1396-3.jpg

Thanks for watching!

18 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

One more...

And I go shopping for Samyang 135...

just one more.... :)

Do it. Its an absolutely amazing lens. 

32 minutes ago, drjolo said:

This is one of my 2018 summer holidays captures. The frame contains many hydrogen clouds (largest red blob is IC1396), and whole lot of dark nebulae. Bright yellow star at the IC1396 edge is mu Cephei - Garnet Star - one of the brightest known stars in the Galaxy. It is 350,000 times more luminous than Sun. 

Image is LRGBHO composition made with Samyang 135 lens, QHY163M camera and iOptron Smart EQ mount. It is about 3 hours of total exposure time.

2018-08-19-I1396-3.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Great image

Great image. The Garnet Star is huge, when I can I view it quite often in a dob.

From Sky Safari “This means that if put in place of the Sun, μ Cep would extend midway between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn. It could fit over 1 billion suns into its body.” Hard to imagine! 

Edit

Thats a great target to image at 135mm, I must have a go at that as well :) 

• 3 months later...

Archived