Narrowband

Star trails pre meridian

TheMan

I have the az-gti goto mount with equatorial wedge, good mount nothing to complain about. but the other night i got it polar aligned and there was no star trails for anything that passed the meridian or was close to it. anything that was <80 degrees above near direct east would show star trails. this has happened on multiple occasions. i do not have an autoguider but im not sure if it would change anything. these star trails are quite long and very weird due to it tracking fine toward the west. anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

It's been cloudy the past few nights, i'll try tonight to get an image. But it is on a Star Adventurer EQ wedge with the EQ firmware from the official skywatcher website, so it acts like a German EQ mount. It also has a counter weight and isn't off balance.

19 hours ago, TheMan said:

It also has a counter weight and isn't off balance.

It turns out that the M12 bolt i'm using to hold the counterweight, isn't long enough and was a bit off balance, so i ground it off and hey presto, it works fairly well.

Archived