Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

For those using Win 10....

Dr_Ju_ju

49 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I too have never had an issue with my factory installed Win 10, I do wonder if a lot of problems are from PCs that were upgraded.

Alan

Nope mine came brand new with Win10 factory installed and so far has been stuffed twice by updates and once got itself into an endless loop claiming it was installing them but actually doing nothing.

Dave

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well last weekend I left a new but unused laptop at a location that has proper high speed and connected it to their network in the hope of downloading every available update for every chunk of OS or software installed.

It is still 'downloading/cycling' and it does have enough Ram/Disk.

It’s odd isn’t it... updating our desktop which is HP is a beeeze, my laptop which is Toshiba is a nightmare.  I have to delete all the updates and reload from scratch every few months...  I’m a dab hand at turning superfetch off though..  

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The odd thing though is why do some people have no problems at all with the updates and others just have grief???

There's a huge range of hardware (and software) out there.  Only a fraction of it can probably be tested properly and I bet in some cases the manufacturer/vendor takes the attitude that they'll wait and see if anyone complains before doing any work.  So it might just be the luck of the draw.

James

Just now, Gasman said:

Still updating.................dumdedumdedum.............................................................................?

Takes ages.  This is the first W10 update I've ever done that crashed and burned and resulted in a rebuild.  Fortunately it was on a spare laptop that I only use for testing so no harm, but painful anyway.

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just read an article on Linux malware and viruses Apparently thinking Linux is totally secure is causing many users to leave openings that can easily be exploited. No operating system is totally safe any more.

Linux was never totally secure, just security through obscurity.  There was little point coding a virus/trojan etc for a linux (or mac machine back in the day) as so few people used it. It's getting more and more popular now though so I expect the game has changed somewhat.

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Found the disks for Windows 3.1 and a pack of 8” floppy disks in the loft recently.  ?

Once installed Windows 95 from 50+ floppy disks - not a pleasant experience ?

I don't mind windows updating, kind of what we pay for isnt it? But I do wish we had more openly accessible control over the how and when.

1 minute ago, LightBucket said:

A lot of it also depends on the power of the PC too, as most recent updates assume that people have a state of the are i7 processor with oodles of RAM, and this is not the case, hence the issue, also bloatware on PC also don’t help....

Mines got i7 and oodles of ram and still been stuffed by updates, only got astro imaging stuff installed .

Dave

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

bloatware on PC also don’t help....

I used to use a program called PC Decrapifier when restoring systems from factory for customers. Just checked and its still going, might have to try it again.
Fed up of finding new games on my system I never wanted.

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Mines got i7 and oodles of ram and still been stuffed by updates, only got astro imaging stuff installed .

Dave

Hmmm, scrap that then, windows 10 is just rubbish and that’s the end of it, I am done finding excuses for it....lol... :) 

1 minute ago, LightBucket said:

If they are that good at keeping an eye on your system to see when to update, then what can’t they sort the dam problems out when it goes wrong.... :) using telemetry

I don't think you're meant to take it seriously, it's just some fanciful splurge from the public relations dep't :grin:

Dave

I've really had enough of the overuse of the word "experience" for stuff like this.  I do not wish my OS updates to be "an experience".  They're a fairly necessary evil.  I want them to be as unobtrusive as possible and not "experience" them at all.

But it's not just that.  Everything these days, no matter how menial or trivial, is "an experience".  NO!  JUST NO!

How long is it before my dentist has posters on the wall that say "We want you to have the best possible root canal experience"?  "Do come again and try it often".

"Your local council wishes you to have a great council tax paying experience."

"Book your funeral with Flame, Crackle and Crispy Funeral Directors.  For a super-enjoyable cremation experience."

Gaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

James

Archived