SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

For those using Win 10....

Dr_Ju_ju

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

..having huge security vulnerabilities if you don't update is even more horrible....

Please don't exaggerate  ? - most of all major updates are "new" software or "improvements" LOL - security updates are updated as and when found subject to your update settings.

All OS have he potential for "security holes" as they are written by humans (for now !) - even Apple OS's have them - remember the Seri flaw which enabled a locked Iphone to be unlocked.

36 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Please don't exaggerate  ? - most of all major updates are "new" software or "improvements" LOL - security updates are updated as and when found subject to your update settings.

All OS have he potential for "security holes" as they are written by humans (for now !) - even Apple OS's have them - remember the Seri flaw which enabled a locked Iphone to be unlocked.

Update settings in windows 10, are you joking there is no control over updates unless you have the pro version, it stinks that you can’t turn them on and off when required, talk about big brother is watching, the first thing any windows 10 PC does when you switch it on, is an ET impression.....it phones home and reports everything back to big brother...I hate it with a passion.... 

lol rant over

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

True. That is why my Win10 machine has never been and never will be anywhere near an internet connection.

So  are you saying you have never updated it ?

How did you get the astro apps you use  on to it ?

1 minute ago, wornish said:

True. That is why my Win10 machine has never been and never will be anywhere near an internet connection.

2 minutes ago, wornish said:

So  are you saying you have never updated it ?

How did you get the astro apps you use  on to it ?

I do the same as @Demonperformer with my little mini PC which I use for star parties, but not necessarily as a conscious decision as I routinely update my obsy machine, it just doesn't need to connect as it runs via RDP on a local network.  I load the stuff I need on to a USB stick from my Mac indoors and then install from that.

2 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Update settings in windows 10, are you joking there is no control over updates unless you have the pro version, it stinks that you can’t turn them on and off when required, talk about big brother is watching, the first thing any windows 10 PC does when you switch it on, is an ET impression.....it phones home and reports everything back to big brother...I hate it with a passion.... 

lol rant over

That was not he point of my remark it was the "huge security vulnerabilities" bit I was high lighting - that's was over the top IMHO.  

Don't have a problem with stopping "big brother" I hate it too - on OS's,Phones,TV's and now even the fridge etc LOL.

In the end all you can do is minimise the risks not eliminate them ?  - P.S. Using a USB stick doesn't stop unknown or new malware/virus's but it minimises the risk and stops "big brother" - well maybe!!!.

YMMV, but I've never had issues with updates (and I have SBIG, ZWO and QHY camera drivers, in addition to ASCOM drivers for mount, focuser, etc). - I always wonder if it's the issue of having a manufacturer installed/adapted version of the OS vs installing it from fresh media?

I run my Ethernet connection from my mount top Windows 10 PC as a "metered" connection.  That way it does not do its download and update thing anymore.  I can apply update sat a time of *my* choosing that way and allow the updates as and when I deem them have been field exposed for long enough for others to have found the issues.

You'll have to connect eventually to update, depending on what you do. .Net framework updates and drivers etc that eventually require you to update the OS to latest patches etc. I concede this is not necessary that often, but eventually you do.

I do hope it is better than the previous Windows 10 updates.

For some bizarre reason, my TomTom sat-nav & Apple iPod are not or no longer being recognised when plugged into the USB ports on my laptop:crybaby2: and got next to no hope when I spoke to Microsoft Technical Support. They said, 'Speak to TomTom and Apple!' - they said, 'Speak to Microsoft!' :cussing:

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I did an install from original Win 10 disk when I built this PC and have not had any problems at all with updates. Just a complete non-issue for me.

I too have never had an issue with my factory installed Win 10, I do wonder if a lot of problems are from PCs that were upgraded.

Alan

Archived