Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova Remnant Veil Nebula HOO with Rgb Stars.

Allinthehead

Hi. This is my take on a section of the Veil Nebula. A rare foray into narrowband for me and a target selected on a whim while trying to stay as far from the moon as practicable. 

The Veil Nebula resides 2,100 light years away in the constellation Cygnus and is one of the best known supernova remnants. Known for it's whispy filamentary structures it's all that remains of a star that was about 20 times as massive as our own. Estimated to have gone supernova some 10,000 years ago it would have been bright enough to have cast shadows here on Earth! It's suspected that before the star exploded it expelled a strong stellar wind, blowing a large cavity into the surrounding gas.

"As the shock wave from the supernova expands outwards, it encounters the walls of this cavity — and forms the nebula's distinctive structures," they added. "Bright filaments are produced as the shock wave interacts with a relatively dense cavity wall, whilst fainter structures are generated by regions nearly devoid of material. The Veil Nebula's colorful appearance is generated by variations in the temperatures and densities of the chemical elements present." ESA

This was captured over 3 nights with my Takahashi Epsilon 130 

Zwo Asi 1600mm Astrodon Ha 5nm 5 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 221 -20 deg

Zwo Asi 1600mm Astrodon Oiii 3nm 3 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 221 -20 deg

Zwo Asi 071 25 minutes in 30 second subs at gain 50 -5 deg 

Captured with Sequence Generator Pro

Stacked in Astro Pixel Processor

Processed in APP, PI, and PS

Richard.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread on how to add rgb stars to narrowband.

405338922_VeilHaOiiirgb.jpg.c44750ba2552a2bd4e9591bf6d6233c9.jpg

Inverse for fun

250603042_VeilInverse.thumb.jpg.7f7e7c7ff3fa4e0a95d4ee27391352c1.jpg

HOO

1075601531_VeilHOO.thumb.jpg.30ad68aaf39bff038ec9f5306900ef4d.jpg

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Wow!

Amazing Richard. Makes my efforts look pretty tame.

Thank you for sharing.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. 

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

That's just crazy bru! nice one

Happy you like it souls.

53 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's a lovely set of images, but I'm afraid the new 'hi-res image display' meant this page too two minutes and fifty seconds to load on my slow broadband.

I hope this isn't the end of enjoying SGL for me ?

Thanks Neil. I hope this isn't the end of your enjoyment too. 

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Outstanding. How many pieces did you mosaic together ?

Thanks Adam. Just the one frame here. I'm already on to the next target. It will take at least 3 good nights. I'm excited about this one.

17 hours ago, Xiga said:

@Allinthehead i've just had the pleasure of viewing this on my monitor at home. Everything about it is simply amazing. The stars, the background, the details, it is stunning in every way. Congrats! 

Thanks Ciarán very nice of you to say.

8 hours ago, David_L said:

Superb! and new composition of these objects (new to me anyway ? )

I really like this.

David

Thanks for that David, glad you like it.

Archived