SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Matching Cameras

Demonperformer

I've been having a bit of a fantasy session.

A pair of WO Star71s on a dual rig for narrowband imaging. On one, a colour camera with one of those STC duo filters (for Ha & O3) and on the other a mono camera for the Ne3 filter. All three channels imaged at the same time. OK, the sensitivity of the colour setup is only about 1/4 of the mono, but the QE at 379nm is quite a bit less than the other two and the amount of Ne, although greater in the galaxy on average than S, is still less than either of the other two, so it might well even out.

This got me thinking about getting a matching colour camera for my 1600MM, but looking at @FLO website, the 1600MC has been discontinued and the recommended alternative (294MC) has a different chip size and different pixel size. When I looked at all the cameras they do, the only matching ones are the 178 & the 183. The other cameras are available either only as mono (174, 1600 & 071) or only as colour (385 & 294). All of the different models have different chip sizes and (usually) different pixel sizes.

Does this strike anyone else as weird ... producing 5 different models that don't match and only two that do?

Thanks.

All this relates to the "cooled" versions.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I've been having a bit of a fantasy session.

A pair of WO Star71s on a dual rig for narrowband imaging. On one, a colour camera with one of those STC duo filters (for Ha & O3) and on the other a mono camera for the Ne3 filter. All three channels imaged at the same time. OK, the sensitivity of the colour setup is only about 1/4 of the mono, but the QE at 379nm is quite a bit less than the other two and the amount of Ne, although greater in the galaxy on average than S, is still less than either of the other two, so it might well even out.

This got me thinking about getting a matching colour camera for my 1600MM, but looking at @FLO website, the 1600MC has been discontinued and the recommended alternative (294MC) has a different chip size and different pixel size. When I looked at all the cameras they do, the only matching ones are the 178 & the 183. The other cameras are available either only as mono (174, 1600 & 071) or only as colour (385 & 294). All of the different models have different chip sizes and (usually) different pixel sizes.

Does this strike anyone else as weird ... producing 5 different models that don't match and only two that do?

Thanks.

All this relates to the "cooled" versions.

Just FYI, 

there are other shops in UK, who still sell 1600MC PRO, - up to £1k

6 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Most altruistic!

The 071 now appears to be only a mono camera. Maybe there was previously a colour version?  I thought the duo filter only worked with a colour camera. 

Indeed, taking one for the team.

No as far as i know the 071 is only available as a colour cam.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this may be a bit Off Topic : Regarding the STC Duo Narrowband filter and it's use in colour OSC cameras - does anyone know in theory if a filter could be manufactured which captures all 3 popular narrowbands simultaneously (a 'Trio Narrowband' filter) ?  Or in other words capture Ha, O3 and S data at the same time?  Sorry perhaps this is a daft question but if it can be done with 2 bands I wondered if it is possible with 3..

This thread reminds me of an idea I had before: What if a colour sensor chip, but instead of using wide-band RGB micro-filters on the pixels, it had Ha, Oii and Sii.

You could get a hubble image straight out of a single camera ?. Might be beyond current manufacturing technologies...?

Aren't cameras with a CMYG colour mask (such as the colour Lodestar) supposed to be able to do some stuff like this, and do it better than an RGB sensor?

So for example with a combined Ha and OIII filter you'd get Ha in the M and Y pixels and OIII in G with perhaps some contribution from Y and C?

James

Archived