Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a dew controller and therefore need 12v power outside. I'm running my rig off of a 4 way plug socket in a dribox which is extended from the mains in the house into an RCD plug.

Will these two items work fine for plugging a dew controller into? 

12v.thumb.jpg.f58e364f1bc1f10c372250df7150b8ba.jpg

Hi,

my experience of the items you linked to have not been that good, they can be hit and miss, but in saying that for dew control probably ok, but wouldn’t use for mount or cameras... :)

ok thanks for the reply. what would you recommend then? I don't want to use a battery and as I say I'll be using mains power. There's so many different types of 12v adapters etc. I have no idea whats good and what isn't.

3 hours ago, smr said:

ok thanks for the reply. what would you recommend then? I don't want to use a battery and as I say I'll be using mains power. There's so many different types of 12v adapters etc. I have no idea whats good and what isn't.

That’s a difficult one, as there are so many ways to power all your kit, personally I use a Pegasus ultimate hub, but at a cost of nearly £500 that’s probably out of the question, there are cheaper power hubs around..

In saying that if you stick at the hobby you WILL end up with something like that, after probably trying loads of other cheaper options first..I did..

Are you any good with a soldering iron and are you happy to go the DIY route...?.

I Know you said you don’t want to use a battery but I use one of these with 8 rechargeable AA batteries for my nexus. I’d think it’d be fine for a dew controller and its very portable.

1FCF6610-2BE7-490D-B07B-AB0E3149F63E.thumb.jpeg.2848d0e2dbb165a80a7f0242cf066069.jpeg

Edited by Scooot

1243520955_jumpstartpack.jpg.9bc12b6bbdffe868ec4100639a9b3359.jpg535995097_SkywatcherED80.thumb.jpg.daca83850045432b940629025b1a963c.jpgI run my ED80 on EQ5 mount using car battery jump box

One I have has 2 X 12 Volt outlets, as well as duel USB outlets

Have run scope for 3 or 4 days at astronomy festivals without draining the battery

Edited by cletrac1922

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now