Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Flying Dragon Nebula - a faint one not for the faint hearted

gorann

Jens Zippel recetly posted an amazing image of this nebula with 24 hours of data so when chosing a Ha object for Sunday night while the moon was conspiring against astrophotography, I was naive enough to have a go at it. Little did I know how extremely faint this object is and I have never had to stretch data so much. Before the moon came up I managed to get 90 minutes of RGB and then I cought 260 minutes of Ha with my ASI071, which is a OSC so geneally not ideal for weak Ha. There was hardly a hint of the neubula in the RGB data so all of i comes from the Ha data. Obviously I need more data but I think it proves that the ASI 071 MCpro can be used for Ha.

Equipment used: Esprit 150 and ASI 071 on EQ8, Gain 200, offset 30, chilled to -10°C. 26 x 10 min exposures for Ha (Baader 7 nm filter) and 24 x 2-3 min for RGB (Baader lum filter).

C & S much appreciated.

EDIT: A bit more faint nebulosity found so I added a second version

20180930 Sh2-114 ASI E150 RGB PS3(+Saturation) +Ha blend redPS23smallSIgn.jpg

20180930 Sh2-114 ASI E150 RGB PS3(+Saturation) +Ha blend redPS24smallSign.jpg

Just now, Demonperformer said:

Great start - looking forward to the final result.

Thanks!

I will have it on my list for the next time the moon is up, and devote two nights for it. Hopefully my next imaging session with be a moonless one focussing on RGB and maybe on a less demanding target?.

I have this target on my to do list, but did not realise it was so faint.

You can clearly see the dragon and it looks good, and the stars colours are lovely.

Don't suppose you have the co-ordinates for this I can't seem to find them anywhere?

Thanks

Carole 

12 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Coming along nicely.

I know all about those " Oh that looks a great target projects" they tend to take much longer than you think.

3 minutes ago, almcl said:

It's Sh2-114 in Cassiopea, Carole. (21h21m12.,00s/38° 42' 0.00" from Stellarium)

And yet another exciting image from Gorann, can't wait to see the final version!

3 minutes ago, almcl said:

It's Sh2-114 in Cassiopea, Carole. (21h21m12.,00s/38° 42' 0.00" from Stellarium)

And yet another exciting image from Gorann, can't wait to see the final version!

Thank you all! I will do my best to getmore data.

Carole: I found the coordinates on Italian Wikipedia:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh2-114

38 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Whopper! I’m keen to try this too as my ki

24 minutes ago, peter shah said:

A great image its one I keep meaning to do but some how I end up doing something else

ds just love dragons. But I fear it’s too faint for my scope. 

Thanks and good luck to you both! Although it may not have to do with luck, so rarher put your best patience and stamina into this one.

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks for the Co-ordinates Gorann and almcl, I have been hunting everywhere including Wikipedia.

Carole 

Maybe non-English Wikipedias are filtered out by your browser? I often find info on other language Wikipedias about celestial objects that are not on English Wikipedia. You can then use Google translator.

Just an update since I found a bit more signal and Ha in the data, but maybe I squeezed it too much? But what could I do when I wait for clear skies?

Due to the weak signal the image looks best in a rather dark room in the evening, preferentially after some glasses of wine.....

20180930 Sh2-114 ASI E150 RGB PS3(+Saturation) +Ha blend redPS42smallSign.jpg

Archived