SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CLS-CCD or CLS clip filter with Modded Canon 1000D?

William Jones

Hi guys

I have recently acquired a modded 1000D camera body which has had the “IR mod” performed. Ie removal of the IR cut filter.

I wish to do some Astro imaging through both my SW 200p Newtonian and my Skywatcher ED80.

Which EOS clip filter is suitable?

Is one type better for refractors and the other better for Newtonian?

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to which is more suitable.

your remarks would be extremely useful before I lay out ant cash on purchasing one of them.

cheers

The difference between the two filters you mention, is that the CLS CCD version has IR cut, the standard CLS does not have IR cut, now with a normal Astro mod only one of the two filters in the canon cameras are removed, the other is left in the camera as it gives the needed IR cut, hence only needing the standard filter. The one that is removed is the one that blocks a large portion of Ha signal and hence the reason for removal.

If you were to have a full spectrum mod and have both filter removed then you would need the CCD version..

HTH :)

Also you  say in your first post that you had the IR filter removed, well yes and no, that filter does have IR cut, but the one left in the camera does the job better so it’s left in, the one removed has both IR cut and cuts Ha signal and so removed...

The mod you have had is called “hot mirror removal”... and don’t ask me why.. :)

Archived