Narrowband

Rgb stars with Narrowband

Don't know what software you use but when I've done this, I've just used the pixmath process in pixinsight to add the processed star image to the proocessed nebula image. But this does require the nebula to be removed from the RGB images so they just contain stars and the stars to be removed from the nebula narrowband images. And to do that you need a good starmask.

These are all for pixinsight:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwj08bfd7OfdAhUJKMAKHSYjBKgQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov is one tutorial for removing stars.

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-reducing-star-sizes.html is another.

Cheers, Ian

I use photoshop and have only attempted this on about 1 occasion.  On that occasion I made sure the RGB image was registered to the NB image and then selected the stars, expanded and feathered them and then cut/copied them and pasted them onto the NB image.  I think I selected something like lighten mode to blend them.

Carole 

I did this in Pixinsight using the same as or a similar technique to Ian, I made the star mask from the narrowband image then reduced the star sizes a bit ... then pixelmath to extract the stars from RGB (RGB*starmask) to give just the stars , NB*(1-starmask) to give the NB without the stars, then add the resulting images together... took ages to get a half decent star mask, which is the key to success I think, and then some of the smaller stars were missing and some larger ones had to be cloned stamped in.   The results I got are in my Album the images are of  Crescent Nebula and M27

hope that helps, although if you haven't got Pixinsight I clearly won't!

Dave

Register both images NB & RGB. Remove the stars from the NB image load and copy the RGB image and paste it over the NB image, set the blend mode to screen, paste another RGB ove and set the blend mode to soft light, cut back the opacity to suit - 30-50%.

Thanks for the help. In the end i went with a combination of Carole's method and using an eraser to blend in a star layer below. Tedious but simple. 

18 hours ago, martin_h said:

Remove the stars from the NB image

Have you got a link to a tutorial for this?

12 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks for the help. In the end i went with a combination of Carole's method and using an eraser to blend in a star layer below. Tedious but simple. 

Have you got a link to a tutorial for this?

Archived