Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Astroblagger

Lunt LS50 or Solarmax?

Hello

Im currently in the market for a solar scope been either looking at the Lunt LS50 or possibly (if I save a few more quid) a solarmax 60, iv previously owned a PST and iv just sold on a Quark as I just want a dedicated solar scope without having to require power etc. is the Lunt LS50 a lot better than the PST? or is it worth spending the extra cash for the bigger aperture solarmax 60?

@Astroblagger I’ve been very happy with my LS50. However, I would point out 2 things;

Firstly aperture will undoubtedly help you resolve greater detail. I’ve seen subtle yet significant difference in the view through my scope and a friend’s LS60 at times. Not enough to make me rue buying the 50, but there nonetheless...

Secondly, the LS50 helical focuser. You’ll be able to live with it for a while. But trust me, you will have a limit to how long you’ll tolerate the “sag” ?

So when comparing prices do factor in the cost of a new or previously owned FT or Moonlight for the LS50. Then you’ll be comparing the cost parameter more fairly...

Having owned a PST, Lunt 50 and a Lunt 60 I say either the PST or the Lunt 60. Sold my 60 and later on bought a 50 to replace it (cheaper alternative) but soon sold the 50 on as it was underwhelming compared to the 60. It’s not that the 50 is a bad scope at all and perhaps unfair to compare it to the 60 . PST gives great views for the money though and recommended for those on a budget.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I’ve owned the PST, from that to my Lunt 60 was night and day, as with any scope, aperture is always worth saving for. I certainly would save up longer and get a 60.

I'd recommend factoring the cost of double stacking.  It rocks.

FWIW I went for a LS50DS, and I love it.  Fully agree re the focusser, for me the dual speed Moonlight is a transformative upgrade over the stock helical focusser. If I had enough money, an LS60DS with a binoviewer would be my wish ;) Looked through one once: it was jaw droppingly good!

• Like 1

Having owned all the scopes you mention the Solar max 60 is obviously better than the lunt 50 both have the helical focuser the Lunt 60 does have a better focuser and slightly brighter image and secondhand can be had more or less same as the solar max used . Thing  with solar is the more you invest the better it gets even views wise but as in normal night viewing it’s down to the seeing and the suns in its minimal time right now but still lots to see

I was at herstmonceux end of Aug and was a few solar scopes setup and pointed at the sun..funny enough a pst,lunt 50 and a solarmax 60 ..for me the solarmax gave the best image..the lunt not that far behind and the pst in last place.. I'm sure if comparing a 60mm lunt with the 60mm solarmax there wouldn't be too much in it..

As already mentioned a couple of times:  aperture is king, also with solar viewing.
Comparing a Lunt 50 with a Solarmax 60 is comparing apples and pears. The 60 always wins... The lightgathering power of the 60 is 44% (!) higher , hence the resolution will be a lot better, too.
Comparing same aperture Lunt with Coronado, I think Lunt always wins, because they are totally focused on Solar and have always been, while for Meade, the Coronado is an 'extra'. 

7 hours ago, Waldemar said:

As already mentioned a couple of times:  aperture is king, also with solar viewing.
Comparing a Lunt 50 with a Solarmax 60 is comparing apples and pears. The 60 always wins... The lightgathering power of the 60 is 44% (!) higher , hence the resolution will be a lot better, too.
Comparing same aperture Lunt with Coronado, I think Lunt always wins, because they are totally focused on Solar and have always been, while for Meade, the Coronado is an 'extra'. 

Meade aquired coranado Lunt worked for them and left and started Lunt some of the best etalons were made from the original Corando company before Meade aquired them  the solar max are nice scopes I’ve owned several 

Garryblueboy, thanks for the info on Coronado.  I noticed in your signature you own a LS75FHA etalon. Is that one of the unobstructed signature serie?
if so, which number is it?

CS

2 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Garryblueboy, thanks for the info on Coronado.  I noticed in your signature you own a LS75FHA etalon. Is that one of the unobstructed signature serie?
if so, which number is it?

CS

Don’t think it’s a signature one it’s umber 34 

Edited by garryblueboy