Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Owmuchonomy

The Trapezium with the SW ED150

The new SW Evostar ED150 is really getting some use here after my initial tests.  We are having a good run of clear skies.  This morning I got up at 3:30 am to do a lunar imaging run (see elsewhere). After that I quickly set up on M42 as it was near the local meridian.  Using my ES 4.7mm 82' EP (255x) I concentrated on the Trapezium first.  I was staggered by the view not only because of the detail under the Moon but because all 6 stars (A to F) were clearly visible immediately and pin sharp sitting in a greenish mist.  Here is my really quite poor chalk sketch of the approximate view hastily drawn on my obsy blackboard wall (ignore the screws in the ply):

IMG_1789.jpg.c0b41a637d8f5ea4b400d2a5e19430c0.jpg

Checking with the detailed Whitepeak Observatory graphic the stars I believe in clockwise order are from the top right: B, D, F, C, A, E.  I have often tried to view the 6 stars before with my SCT 9.25" but this scope revealed them with ease.

Star C (Theta-1 C Orionis) is described in the same graphic as an Extreme star: 40 Solar Masses; Surface temp 40,000K, the hottest known <6mag star; 210,000x sun's luminosity and an O6 spectral type.

I then swapped to my 2" 24mm ES 82' EP to view M42 but that view was swamped somewhat by moonlight so I will have to wait a while to try that.

• Like 9

Hi,

This is probably a bit of a stupid question, but how apo is it? I've heard people suggesting it wouldn't be good on stars because of its large lens. Is this the case? ?

John

Just now, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

This is probably a bit of a stupid question, but how apo is it? I've heard people suggesting it wouldn't be good on stars because of its large lens. Is this the case? ?

John

It's very well controlled. I haven't been able to detect any real chromatic aberration, perhaps a faint violet on the brightest stars.  its as good as my ED120 was.  A bright Moon limb didn't phase it either.

Good stuff Chris.

My ED120 shows E & F Trapezium but they are somewhat harder with my Tak 100. Doable on a good night though.

Although the 2 ED150's that I had were out of sorts optically I did notice that false colour was well controlled with them. If Skywatcher can sort out the packaging so that 100% of the scopes arrive in optically good shape I think it will be a winner :icon_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

I have been very lucky I think.  This is an excellent example of what the scope is capable of.  I noticed on screen when I had the ASI290MM camera on for the Click-Lock test that the airy disc was spot on.  I have some Moon images to sort out so that will be my next post.

That`s a good result, I`ve struggled to observe the stars C, A, E. with my 9.25SCT. But B,D, and F visible in a Badder Hyperion 10mm at x235. Des

I'm rather surprised that C9.25's are struggling with E & F Trapezium :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

I'm rather surprised that C9.25's are struggling with E & F Trapezium :icon_scratch:

The joys of cooling and perhaps collimation John. I've always found SCTs struggle with these more than refractors, particularly F which requires good control of C to pull it out of the glare.

Best view I've had of these by far is through Gav's TEC160. No surprise I guess!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John said:

I can mount the 9.25 next to the 150 on the AZ EQ 6 GT ?.  I have recently collimated the 9.25 too so I'll put it on the to do list.

5 minutes ago, des anderson said:

That`s a good result, I`ve struggled to observe the stars C, A, E. with my 9.25SCT. But B,D, and F visible in a Badder Hyperion 10mm at x235. Des

Des, A,B,C and D are trivial in just about any scope so I'm sure you must be seeing them? It is E and F that are the challenge, with E generally being easier than F in my view.

• Like 1

These old eye`s ar`nt as good as they used to be, but winters coming and I`m up for a challange. Maybe the scope needs a tweak or I do......Des

My best views of E & F come with my 12" dob unsurprisingly. They are really "in your face" with that scope !

Regularly seen with the ED120 as well though. As with many of these targets, once you have seen them, you wonder how you missed them !

I agree with Stu - even my old Tasco 60mm would show A-D quite nicely.

This observation is massively seeing-dependent and does require optics to be at ambient as well. I'm not surpized that the 6 inch apo handled itself so well.

Olly

• Like 1

Very dependent on magnification as well, too much or too little and E & F seem to disappear.    ?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

Very dependent on magnification as well, too much or too little and E & F seem to disappear.    ?

Too true. 8mm (199x) seems to be spot on for E & F with my 12" dob.

• Like 1

I find that c 140-160x is optimum for E&F with my FS128?

Dave

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 20:46, Stu said:

Des, A,B,C and D are trivial in just about any scope so I'm sure you must be seeing them? It is E and F that are the challenge, with E generally being easier than F in my view.

Fully agree, ABC&D easy at 19x with my Pronto.    OO 10” Dob E&F easy at 150-200x but only if seeing is ok.  

Always a treat, however many times I view them......?

Ed.

• Like 2

I often use Rigel as a guide to seeing. If I can split that easily and also see the 4th star of Sigma Orionis (just below the lowest of the 3 "belt" stars), E & F Trapezium are usually "on" that night :icon_biggrin:

Can't wait for Orion to start showing properly - there is so much to see in that constellation !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I often use Rigel as a guide to seeing. If I can split that easily and also see the 4th star of Sigma Orionis (just below the lowest of the 3 "belt" stars), E & F Trapezium are usually "on" that night :icon_biggrin:

Can't wait for Orion to start showing properly - there is so much to see in that constellation !

i agree John, Orion has to be my favourite, and seeing the Pleiades starting to rise ahead of Orion always gives me a little tinge of excited anticipation..:thumbsup::hello2:

Dave

• Like 2

Good seeing tonight, not even fully dark, waiting for the Moon to clear building I was looking at Rigel, Sig Ori...and then Trapezium. 7mm T6...and saw E and F, caught me by complete surprise!

Bumping to 150x it was even more obvious. I am still stunned.

I guess it is seeing...and Tak fluorite magic. :)

• Like 1

Nice one !

I've just pointed my 12 dobsonian at it and E & F were surprisingly easy considering the twilight sky.

• Like 1