SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS Intruding on my StarryLandscape

Over the weekend I was trawling through the photos I’ve taken from my two recent trips to our place near Baltimore, SW Ireland. Two of my images, shown below, had a very bright 1-second “streak” in them, and I was wondering whether to edit them out for the purpose of possibly printing and framing either of them. It occurred to me the streak might possibly be the ISS, but how to find out? I suddenly remembered that I get the automatic notification emails giving me notice of the ISS passing overhead, so I searched back into those to find out. The photos were taken at 2139 and 2140 on 31/03/18 *.

I found this one:

Subject: SpotTheStation … Time: Sat Mar 31 9:39 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 87°, Appears: 15° above W, Disappears: 84° above ENE

_MG_7077.thumb.jpg.b49ad7a6e1f8cec97c1f1093758eba4b.jpg

_MG_7081_v4.thumb.jpg.fa15b498c810443a443f6f7c67540af9.jpg

So yes, I’d inadvertently photographed the ISS! Definitely keeping them in now and will definitely print and frame one or both.

Both were taken with my Canon 6D + Samyang 24mm f/1.4, 1 second at 1.4 & ISO1600 . It was after dark, with the Sun 14 degrees below horizon, but the Moon was full and also up. I processed one of them to look like daylight, I’m quite pleased with the effect. Venus is the bright blob more or less centre-frame in that one.

Cheers, Magnus

*(camera data says 2039 and 2040 but I’d forgotten to set the daylight saving on the camera)

If you have the Satellites plug-in for Stellarium this shows the position of the ISS (and hoards of others) although I am not sure how far back it goes, it usually seems accurate for the current day.

ISS.jpg

Archived