Narrowband

Eastern Veil in Ha and OIII with a Nikon D5300

Xiga

Absolutely stunning. Everything's good but in particular the colour.

I've been working on this target recently and found that I could keep the colour OK until going very deep - and then deeper I went the less I liked the colour! 

Great image.

Olly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Xiga said:

That's a good question. The answer, simply, is they are taken from experienced imagers far smarter than me! Lol. The bottom one is just the bare minimum you should aim for, so you really want to be further towards to the top end value. Using a factor of 10 for the top-end is probably slightly overkill, so something like 7 should work fine too. Although for reference, as outlined above, in pretty much all of my images where I have used the Ha filter, I am just about hitting the bare minimum ADU values.

Excellent. Really glad you made me understand this, was going bonkers :D

I'll be sure to implement that in my future imaging sessions. Basically i got the value of 405 ADU per sub for the value of "3" ([21 + (3 * 1.2^2/1] *16 ) and 566 ADU per sub for the value of "10" ([21 + (10 * 1.2^2/1] *16 ) since i'm using the unity gain option for my 1600 . The only question left now is what happens if my ADU value per sub is higher than that?

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Excellent. Really glad you made me understand this, was going bonkers :D

I'll be sure to implement that in my future imaging sessions. Basically i got the value of 405 ADU per sub for the value of "3" ([21 + (3 * 1.2^2/1] *16 ) and 566 ADU per sub for the value of "10" ([21 + (10 * 1.2^2/1] *16 ) since i'm using the unity gain option for my 1600 . The only question left now is what happens if my ADU value per sub is higher than that?

Are you sure you've got the right figure for the Offset? I think I read somewhere that ZWO changed their drivers not that long ago to use a fixed Bias value of 50 at all Gain values. But don't take my word for that, check it out for yourself. 

The only downside to going higher is the risk of blowing out highlights - most likely that will just be the cores of the very brightest stars. 

3 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Are you sure you've got the right figure for the Offset? I think I read somewhere that ZWO changed their drivers not that long ago to use a fixed Bias value of 50 at all Gain values. But don't take my word for that, check it out for yourself. 

The only downside to going higher is the risk of blowing out highlights - most likely that will just be the cores of the very brightest stars. 

Am getting my values for the offset from here unless i've got it completely wrong. Am using the unity gain

asi.jpg.e4f703a06f59ce45b267a79fb3c56150.jpg

3 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Am getting my values for the offset from here unless i've got it completely wrong. Am using the unity gain

asi.jpg.e4f703a06f59ce45b267a79fb3c56150.jpg

That does look right. Are you sure you're using the most up to date driver though? 

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Absolutely stunning. Everything's good but in particular the colour.

I've been working on this target recently and found that I could keep the colour OK until going very deep - and then deeper I went the less I liked the colour! 

Great image.

Olly

Thanks Olly. That means a lot coming from you ?

I didn't find the colour of the Nebula too hard on this one, but then I didn't stretch mine that hard. Any more and it just started to fall apart at the seams ?

Archived