Narrowband

IAS 2018

heliumstar

12 hours ago, chaxastro said:
  On 12 October 2018 at 18:35, Ouroboros said:

"Once again the post code given on the website took my satnav to the wrong place. "

I used the one one the website: CV8 2LG.

See under 'Show Location' towards bottom of page, above the Goolge mao of the location.

Took me right to the car park...  ?

Yes, that's the one I used. It tried to take me through the back of the site (like last year's published post code) but you can't get through. Sucess might depend on which satnav device you have.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, FLO said:

We were at the SGL Star Party ?

If next year the IAS organisers choose dates that don’t clash with SGL’s SP then we would certainly consider attending. 

Yes, I recall that now you mention it. Let's hope the clash doesn't happen next year and that you'd be able to go.  I'm sure your presence would be most welcome. 

I don't see why they time the IAS at or near to a new moon. It then wouldn't clash with other stuff.There's no starparty attached. The only observing tends to be solar. Maybe they should move it to the end of October ish. 

They along with most other astronomy shows don't care if it is dark of moon. The practical astronomy show next march also clashes with dark of moon. If you raise this all they say is it is a day time show so what is the problem? I guess there may also be limitations in terms of when they can book the halls. Given the falling attendances you would have thought they might have thought about this but now.

Owen

7 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Remember SGL SP moved from March to October this year. IAS has been around the middle of October for a number of years now. And now we expect IAS to move to suit us!

That's not actually correct - this is the third or fourth star party that's been in October...

And SGL doesn't expect them to move to suit us - it makes no difference to SGL if it clashes, it does make a difference to FLO as we can't be in two places at once! :D

58 minutes ago, Grant said:

That's not actually correct - this is the third or fourth star party that's been in October...

And SGL doesn't expect them to move to suit us - it makes no difference to SGL if it clashes, it does make a difference to FLO as we can't be in two places at once! :D

Wow, has it been that many! My memory gets worse :ohmy:

I take it all back and if anyone figures out how to be in two places at once, please let me know :tongue2:

I went with my mates Mark and Peter, we found the site very easily, I just typed the post code in on the ticket into Waze and it came straight up.

We had no great expectations and although much smaller than some of the other non Astro shows that I go to I recognise that it is a niche market so it is not going to be big.

I had a great chat with the lads from Pegasus and Ian and Nick from Altair, my mate bought a iOptron CEM120EC and a pier, beautiful or what!!! Bumped into @bob-c and had a good chat, nice to chat with Gary Palmer and a few others, went to Peter Jenkins talk which replaced Paddy Gillards, which was OK, watched a demo of the new Sharp Cap Pro Software and then stopped at Steve at ENS's place on the way home for a couple of hours.

So to be truthful it was a pleasant non-harrassed enjoyable way to pass a Saturday with good mates.

If you go to these events not expecting a lot then you don't get disappointed, for me it was fine, apart from lunch and a few coffees, I spent £26.99 on a new head torch and £12 on a dew strip board for my ASC, nothing that I couldn't get on line, but it was raining and I was in good company, so what more could I want?

11 hours ago, Anne S said:

I don't see why they time the IAS at or near to a new moon. It then wouldn't clash with other stuff.There's no starparty attached. The only observing tends to be solar. Maybe they should move it to the end of October ish. 

If i remember right the IAS used to be in June....?

On one occasion they had 7 or 8 solar scopes set up outside.

11 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, that's the one I used. It tried to take me through the back of the site (like last year's published post code) but you can't get through. Sucess might depend on which satnav device you have.  

"Yes, that's the one I used. It tried to take me through the back of the site (like last year's published post code) but you can't get through. Sucess might depend on which satnav device you have."

I assume all SatNav devices work in the same way, I could be wrong...!

For the record:

Samsung Galaxy J3 smartphone, running Android Version 5.1.1.
SatNav was running Google maps...

Hope that helps...  ?

2 hours ago, chaxastro said:

"Yes, that's the one I used. It tried to take me through the back of the site (like last year's published post code) but you can't get through. Sucess might depend on which satnav device you have."

I assume all SatNav devices work in the same way, I could be wrong...!

For the record:

Samsung Galaxy J3 smartphone, running Android Version 5.1.1.
SatNav was running Google maps...

Hope that helps...  ?

For the last couple of Years I have used exclusively Waze, its power hungry but as long as you keep it plugged in then it works superbly and is very accurate.

Position-wise I guess they're pretty much as accurate as one another. However, different data bases could account for them providing different directions, sometimes in error. I have a friend who lives somewhere that some  Satnavs take their owners down a road that physically doesn't exist, including mine. But others have no difficulty. Satnavs are pretty stupid things. 

PS I have suspiscion that Satnavs are  prescient of the much heralded artificial intelligence, which I suspect will turn out in reality to be artificial stupidity.   

On 16/10/2018 at 08:53, Anne S said:

Maybe they should move it to the end of October ish. 

That would also push it closer to Christmas which would help.

I went last year and really enjoyed it. This year I went to Lucksall and had a great time despite the deluge. In future I'd probably favour the star party, but would much rather have the chance to go to both.

On 16 October 2018 at 20:03, Tubby Bear said:

If i remember right the IAS used to be in June....?

On one occasion they had 7 or 8 solar scopes set up outside.

Yes, or July .... I can't recall. Anyway, I preferred it in summer. 

Archived