Narrowband

IAS 2018

heliumstar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi heliumstar,

Full disclosure - I am a vendor - husband and I will be attending IAS from the US. Our discount will be a shade higher than 10%.

Please introduce yourself if you come by our stand  (#9). I always enjoy meeting fellow astronomers at these shows!

- Phyllis

I have bought entry and a talks ticket for the Friday. I always enjoyed in previous years, and it's only an hour or so journey for me. 

Dissapointingly a few weeks ago I noticed that quite a few of the vendor stalls were still empty on the plan of the main exhibition hall. Now they're only showing the floor plan of the foyer. I hope that doesn't mean they've shrunk the exhibition. Anyone know? 

18 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I have bought entry and a talks ticket for the Friday. I always enjoyed in previous years, and it's only an hour or so journey for me. 

Dissapointingly a few weeks ago I noticed that quite a few of the vendor stalls were still empty on the plan of the main exhibition hall. Now they're only showing the floor plan of the foyer. I hope that doesn't mean they've shrunk the exhibition. Anyone know? 

Seen the floor plan missing too. Still, there will be plenty to see I reckon and all the talks too. A coffee and lunch place help to consider things before make sudden purchases ?

I shall be there on the Saturday. Have a ticket for the Astrophotography talk.

I'm also planning to prowl the floor to see if there are any "serious" mounts on show - I'm thinking of upgrading and I'd like to get a sense of what I'm letting myself in for. ?

4 hours ago, Big Jim Slade said:

I'm also planning to prowl the floor to see if there are any "serious" mounts on show - I'm thinking of upgrading and I'd like to get a sense of what I'm letting myself in for. ?

Saw some very serious huge mounts on display last year. OMG so big they were. Way out of my league for grab and go. Still fascinating to look at and in shiny colors too ?

Hope the chocolate stand is there too this year.

On 08/10/2018 at 13:17, Big Jim Slade said:

I went to that talk last year. It was very pixinsight heavy. It may be different this year, but I've decided to save my money as I use photoshop. 

Absolutely it's a bit small this year. Some of the listed stands weren't there. Wanted to speak to Opticron, but no sign. Maybe it's the weather. Rother Valley were just so fabulously helpful. 

Did anyone notice that the coffee (a latte) tasted a bit off??

I bought a ZWO ASI 1600MM Pro from widescreen centre saving over £120 also a zwo efw 8x1.25 or 7x36mm filter wheel saving £30 i see its men't to have a reliable Japanese steeper motor but strange thing is sticker on motor says china.Anyway my debit card has now done a runner.But i need filters (come back.)

I went today. I enjoyed it as usual. I had the impression there were more offers on - 10-20% off - that sort of thing.  I was very tempted once or twice, but I like to do more research before spending serious money. In fact I wished I'd done some research before going because I think there are some seriously good offers.   Personally I prefer such shows less crowded. That's not good for the suppliers of course though. 

I went to a very nice talk given by Peter Jenkins on astrophotography. Enthused me again toward getting kitted out for mono narrow band. Pity the acoustics are so poor there.  They really need to get that sort.

Once again the post code given on the website took my satnav to the wrong place. Despite them saying it is corrected from last year's wrong one. It was wrong the year before too. I mean ... for goodness sake! How difficult  can that be to get right? Fortunately I can read a map. One of the security people told me the post code for the main gate is CV8 2TA.  No promises on that, I haven't checked it. 

45 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Fortunately I can read a map. One of the security people told me the post code for the main gate is CV8 2TA.  No promises on that, I haven't checked it. 

I’ve found that following the copious signs to the National Agricultural College works a treat.

13 minutes ago, AKB said:

I’ve found that following the copious signs to the National Agricultural College works a treat.

That'll be why the event organisers believe they don't need to display the correct postcode directions on their website.? 

I thought it was very empty and no chocolate stand ? Fewer vendors and very few people. Many of the vendors seemed to have bought less stuff as well.

Owen

43 minutes ago, obrazell said:

no chocolate stand

...a very fair point, and one definitely against them.

Tony

PS: on the plus side there was that marvellous lady collecting donations for Marie Curie.  She was awarded a BEM last year (the lady, not Marie Curie) and also now will have a guide dog named after her!  Regrettably, I failed to ask her name!!

No provided minibus from Coventry station this year - had to get taxi. Once we got there, the signage to the show was hopeless - took me at least half an hour of walking around  to find the right hall and the entrance. Smaller show than previous years, but was able to get the gear I wanted from Widescreen Centre and RVO - I want to support these shows so I hope it can keep going. 

I thought the show was enjoyable but there definitely seemed to be less stands and less visitors although the poor weather conditions could have contributed to the latter. I did have a nice chat to a couple of SGL members while there which added a lot to the day :smiley:

I was sorely tempted by a Skywatcher Esprit 152 triplet for what seemed to be a really good price but at the last minute I remembered that a) I don't have a mount that would do it justice and b) divorce is messy and expensive :rolleyes2:

In the end I behaved myself and left empty handed :angel7:

Some interesting new eyepiece lines on the Astroshop EU stand I noticed, branded Omegon:

The Panorama II 100 degree range:

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/omegon-panorama-ii-2-21mm-eyepiece/p,53651

The 21mm had a show price of £180.00 !

The Oberon 82 degree range:

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/omegon-eyepiece-oberon-32mm-2-/p,52940

The 32mm Oberon is the 1st at that focal length with an 82 degree AFoV that I've seen and was just £150.00 at the show. Note that the website states " suitable for telescopes from f6 " which is interesting wording !. The 100 degree Panorama II's state f4.

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

No provided minibus from Coventry station this year - had to get taxi. Once we got there, the signage to the show was hopeless - took me at least half an hour of walking around  to find the right hall and the entrance. Smaller show than previous years, but was able to get the gear I wanted from Widescreen Centre and RVO - I want to support these shows so I hope it can keep going

My bold - ditto.  It's almost the only opportunity to see kit for real and not on the web. I also see stuff I didn't know existed. It would be a great pity if the show folded.  But suppliers can't justify the expense unless they see a return either at the exhibition or in subsequent orders. 

1 hour ago, John said:

I thought the show was enjoyable but there definitely seemed to be less stands and less visitors although the poor weather conditions could have contributed to the latter. I did have a nice chat to a couple of SGL members while there which added a lot to the day :smiley:

I was sorely tempted by a Skywatcher Esprit 152 triplet for what seemed to be a really good price but at the last minute I remembered that a) I don't have a mount that would do it justice and b) divorce is messy and expensive :rolleyes2:

In the end I behaved myself and left empty handed :angel7:

Ah, if I had known you were there today John I might have made the effort to drive around the corner and go. We umm'd and arrrr'd about setting off for Lucksall until midday, then decided it was too windy for towing the caravan. Probably just drive down for the day tomorrow I think.

What price was the Esprit? 

Archived