SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Turn Left at Orion

It may be useful to get the latest especially if the tables in the back are updated thus providing you with planetary positions for many years to come for example.  These are year dependent and my version from 2007 ish only runs for another year or so.  It's a great book. I still use mine even after all these years.

I recently had the same dilemma as you.  New edition better or not?

Got this from the description    'Along with updated star names and astronomical information, this new edition provides links to a dedicated webpage with up-to-date tables and images, and an improved planets chapter. The many Dobsonian-friendly images and small telescope views have been revised to account for changes in modern telescope technology, such as larger field of view eyepieces.'

I suppose the images might match my kit better but with so many variables I went for the older one and kept a beer token in my pocket. In reality, I am never going to use the tables for anything practical as I am computerised/use sysncan.

It is a great read, whichever version you have.

3 hours ago, mankind-nil said:

I just picked up the 4th edition (2011) which has planet dates up to 2024.........Great book!

I too have the same book, Spiral bound, Fourth edition (2011)......reprinted 2013?

Planetary  data for 2024 so there's a few more Years left in this good book.

I too was looking at my library just the other day and was considering the need for any newer books, for my Christmas list?

It takes Millions of Years to produce and many thousand light years of travel for some of those photons to reach my eyes! yet I'm mulling over buying the latest book in-case something has changed  between  2018 and 2019.

If I was buying TLAO for the first time, I'd wait till November's edition, but I wouldn't pre-order, because  no-doubt, it will  be cheaper elsewhere when it does become available, and you'll still get it in time for Christmas, something to look forward too.

That said, I might just transfer this book to my work's bag, give it a 'proper read' over the next few Months, and if it gets damaged? ( Its  a big book, approx 10" Wide and 12" drop [all my books are pristine! ]  I'd have some excuse to buy the latest ?

Archived