Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time Orion user

Libra146

I tried my telescope for the first time last night to see mars. The finder was on it. The telescope showed a round disc that moved slowly in latitude direction. Was that Mars? There was still much blurriness on it. Is there a way to focus it to be clearer and detailed? Thank you! 

It could have been Mars or it could have just been a star that was well out of focus. Did you align your finder with the scope beforehand and were stars sharp points? If they were and the object were looking at was an orange disc then it probably was Mars. The problems we all have at the moment are that 

1. It is currently very low in the sky so we have to look through a lot of atmosphere which degrades the views
  2. There have recently been dust storms on Mars that have covered over a lot of detail 

The views you can get will be mostly determined by seeing so the usual advice applies. Try to observe over vegetation rather than man made objects and take your time at the eyepiece to wait for the best moments. If you're having difficultly focusing try focusing on a nearby star instead. 

Mars is very easy to spot - it is the brightest thing in the southern sky around 9:30pm - and quite low.

As Ricochet said It's low height means you are looking through a lot of atmosphere so views will not be great at the moment.

Apart from ensuring your scope is well cooled and collimated there is not much more you can do.

It may help to download "Stellarium" - free planetarium software.

23 hours ago, Libra146 said:

I tried my telescope for the first time last night to see mars. The finder was on it. The telescope showed a round disc that moved slowly in latitude direction. Was that Mars? There was still much blurriness on it. Is there a way to focus it to be clearer and detailed? Thank you! 

You want to swinging your telescope to the right of Mars and possibly slightly higher and try the next bright object you get to - that's Saturn and you might find that far more impressive!  Provided you have decent seeing its a nice fairly crisp object in the sky.

Archived