Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to make bracket for stepper other focuser?

blinky

I’m going to fit a stepper motor to my Altair ed70, I have a nema 17 so could use that and couple to the reduction knob either with a band or directly, or I also have a byj48 which would allow me to do the same to the standard knob.  The problem is, I don’t know what would work best and I’m not very good at metalwork as I lack tools other than a drill and junior hacksaw! 

Is there any tips that folks can share, what method works best and is there something that would be easily adaptable to work as a bracket or is the best thing to get a strip aluminium and bend to a right angle then drill out the fittings?

I usually 3D print them as I also lack the tools to do any decent metal work. Of course only any good if you have a 3D printer.

My next goto would be to adapt a standard bracket - have a look on eBay there are lots of standard nema brackets available, these could then be bolted onto another piece of extrusion perhaps with t-nuts, or straight bolted to a plain strip of metal.

Yeah i do have a nema bracket now you mention it, might look at that - it means I would need to use the reduction knob to get the step side correct but I suppose thats fine.  Not sure what the pitch size on the fine focus knob is to get a belt to fit but I suppose I can use a non toothed belt?

Rather than trying to bend a strip of Aluminium (some grades will snap if you try!) get yourself a piece of box section (square tube - available on a well known auction site at reasonable cost) and cut a piece out to the required shape.  You can do this either to a sketch or drawing or simply cut away unwanted metal until you have the required shape!  A junior hacksaw should be adequate for this job.

You can buy a file to get rid of the sharp edges and finally "polish" it with a kitchen scourer (the green type - works a treat on ali!!)

1 hour ago, Bizibilder said:

Rather than trying to bend a strip of Aluminium (some grades will snap if you try!) get yourself a piece of box section (square tube - available on a well known auction site at reasonable cost) and cut a piece out to the required shape.  You can do this either to a sketch or drawing or simply cut away unwanted metal until you have the required shape!  A junior hacksaw should be adequate for this job.

You can buy a file to get rid of the sharp edges and finally "polish" it with a kitchen scourer (the green type - works a treat on ali!!)

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean - How would I be able to make box section into a right angle?

I've done what Roger (Bizibilder) suggests a number of times.  Given a drill, a hacksaw, a couple of files, a few suitable size taps and a creative mind you can achieve a fair bit using offcuts available pretty cheaply from the auction site to which Roger alludes.

James

Archived