SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with stars and planets....

Hello all,

I recently got married (9-15-18) and I found a site that will print a picture of the night sky with the consolations and the planets but I'm having a hard time figuring them out I have identified some but not all. I figured i could find some helpful souls to educate me so i can order the print and surprise my bride. Plz help.. lol

Screenshot_20180929-211513_Chrome.jpg

For on a computer screen: Stellarium
For printing charts: Sky Charts, Cartes du Ciel, CdC (all the same)

Both are free

Here is a binocular chart for the Pleiades that I printed as a pdf from CdC and opened in Inkscape (freeware too) to blur the outline of the nebulosity. I also added a few red lines: Pleiades-mag-bino.pdf

Stellarium is very pretty:

stellarium.thumb.png.c4ba60d55f951aed3aa49b6de9957d0a.pngStellarium-Oculars.png.505109cfa04a7661c46bb4dcc500b0b3.png

If you're trying to use that poster to find constellations in the night sky then I've never found that style of map very useful. I prefer the phone apps as they can easily be taken outside and orientated against the horizon which makes things a lot easier. For initial constellation learning I prefer the lines given by Stellarium although for general use I prefer Sky Safari. Learning the constellations is simply a case of going outside at night and finding one thing that you can find both in the sky and on your map (e.g. the Big Dipper in Ursa Major) and starting from there over many nights.

However, I get the impression you just want the names of the constellations on that map, because that is the sky on the night you were married? If so this should get you going. I've done most of the larger constellations and you can use Stellarium or similar to find the smaller ones. The Sun, Moon and planets are also marked in the same colour text as the dot used to represent them.

Night_Sky_2018-09-15.jpg.f73fffff8451bc552209e2c808da35d1.jpg

Wow! Thank you everyone for the response. I have to say this is by far the best forum I have found. To have so many response without [removed word] talk is nice. I've always been a star gazer in a sense.. I could never afford the best equipment and dnt know too many constellations bit I've always wanted to. This forum seems to be the place that can change that. Thanks again. 

Archived