Narrowband

Transformer proliferation

rubecula

I have a 240V supply to the Obsy and then 3 different transformers to supply 12V to the camera, mount and dew heaters.  The trandsormers are hung off the pier and besides looking a mess give me wories about cables becoming snagged. I can see me needing one or two more 12V supplies which will entail more transformers. I've looked on-line but can't find anything with 240V in and multiple 12V outs. Has anyone found a neat solution?

Thanks

Meanwell bench / industrial PSUs...? 240 in, 12v screw terminal outs. Just add all your outputs onto the screw posts in parallel, and ensure max current draw of all your devices doesn’t exceed max amperage of the PSU. If wanting individual protection, add automative spade fuses inline on each device.

eg: https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HRPG-1000-12?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsPs3th5F8koJlxMu8VzQFeshrDhL18%2fWZeB4NitVz6FQ%3d%3d (80a model - slightly excessive)

I use a 13.8v 25A PSU plus car battery as backup and this supplies all my observatory needs.  I use buck converters locally on the equipment where 5v is needed (eg. Raspberry Pi).  The mount was critical on 12v I found.   13.8v is fine as a constant voltage source for charging a lead acid nominally 12v battery.

I'm going to use a Neutrik Speakon connector from my psu to the distribution box I'm going to be making soon. The individual devices will then be powered from different pin configuration aircraft plugs for the different voltages so there is no danger of plugging something in to a socket carrying too high a voltage.

Archived