Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart and Soul in Ha - 2017-2018

alexbb

This is going to be used in a HOO-RGB composition later on when I have all the data.

Currently I recorded a new set of data with the 72ED, 4 panels of Ha to cover the same area I covered last year in 2 panels with the Canon 300 lens.

Last year I shot ~7.5h on each panel, this year I shot ~4h on each panel, one had more to cover a gap.

For a total of just over 30h, I combined all the panels into one and I quickly processed them.

Attached is also an aggregation of crops at full resolution (equivalent to ~288mm FL - Canon's lens FL).

Waiting for the new moon and clear skies to continue acquiring OIII and RGB.

IC1805-IC1848-Ha-2017-2018_p01_40.jpg

IC1805-IC1848-Ha-2017-2018_p01_crops.jpg

Thank you, both!

I only see at work how bad the background can look on some displays. I believe background levels are put in much higher contrast on these lower quality monitors, compared to the IPS I use at home.

@smr, part of the data was acquired last year with the Canon 300 F4 L IS lens and this year with the 72ED. More info about the exposures you can find in the first post.

I was able to extend the backfocus to ~60mm and it seems better, but no perfect.

You pixel-peep on another shot and find the reasons why I can't increase the backfocus (not sure if that would help) even further here:

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Thank you, both!

I only see at work how bad the background can look on some displays. I believe background levels are put in much higher contrast on these lower quality monitors, compared to the IPS I use at home.

@smr, part of the data was acquired last year with the Canon 300 F4 L IS lens and this year with the 72ED. More info about the exposures you can find in the first post.

I was able to extend the backfocus to ~60mm and it seems better, but no perfect.

You pixel-peep on another shot and find the reasons why I can't increase the backfocus (not sure if that would help) even further here:

Ok thanks, you're at a more advanced level than I am, I suppose you wouldn't recommend the 72ED for me? I have a crop sensor DSLR and want to buy a scope which is more plug and play really as I don't know anything at the moment about back focus and spacing etc. 

1 hour ago, smr said:

Ok thanks, you're at a more advanced level than I am, I suppose you wouldn't recommend the 72ED for me? I have a crop sensor DSLR and want to buy a scope which is more plug and play really as I don't know anything at the moment about back focus and spacing etc. 

I had decent results with a DSLR and the 72ED + 2-3mm of spacing between the M48->EOS adapter and the flattener. The flattener's thread is 4-5-6mm long so you can put something in between.

My DSLR's pixels are bigger than my ASI1600's so it's a reason why I didn't see the stars too elongated.

I made the "spacer" from a thick carton beer holder.

16 hours ago, moise212 said:

I had decent results with a DSLR and the 72ED + 2-3mm of spacing between the M48->EOS adapter and the flattener. The flattener's thread is 4-5-6mm long so you can put something in between.

My DSLR's pixels are bigger than my ASI1600's so it's a reason why I didn't see the stars too elongated.

I made the "spacer" from a thick carton beer holder.

Good that you're getting decent results. But for a beginner it sounds like too much effort (if at all possible). 

It's frustrating because if the scope didn't have focusing / curvature problems with DSLRs attached I would buy one because I'm sure it's decent optically - and the price if there weren't any problems would be superb. 

4 minutes ago, smr said:

Good that you're getting decent results. But for a beginner it sounds like too much effort (if at all possible). 

It's frustrating because if the scope didn't have focusing / curvature problems with DSLRs attached I would buy one because I'm sure it's decent optically - and the price if there weren't any problems would be superb. 

You can see here that the "fix" was an easy one.

20180902_115519.jpg

Archived