SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hello from Bicester Oxfordshire UK

jasongtr

hi there, very new to this hobby and already suffering from aperture fever....

i bought a little skywatcher 1145p synscan goto from my cousin for not alot and within a few weeks was already looking for a bigger scope and a better mount, so now i own a skywatcher explorer 200p on an EQ5 mount (manual but soon to be goto pro equipped)

ive bought a couple of semi decent EP's and a barlow, T mount for my DSLR, cheshire to collimate, a few other little things and all of this has happened over the last 5/6 weeks

i can see this becoming very addictive

Welcome. 

1 hour ago, jasongtr said:

hi there, very new to this hobby and already suffering from aperture fever....

i can see this becoming very addictive

Looks like you’re getting the hang of things quickly. ?

Have fun.

Hi, Jason, and welcome to SGL.

An 8" scope is a nice size. I strongly advise you to resist the pull of AF until you have thoroughly explored all you can see with it. Then, in about 2047, a further increase in size will be warranted ?. Seriously, as a beginner, you will gain far more as you learn to "see" rather than just "look at" than you will by just throwing more aperture at the situation ... and do make sure you see the size of any further increases before you buy - I once had a 10" dob in the corner of my living room for months, unused because it was far too big for my circumstances. A small scope that gathers photons is much better than a big one that only gathers dust.

Enjoy the journey.

thanks for the welcomes, i understand about not going too big, when i went to pick the 200 up i was stunned by the size of it and the size of the mount and its weight, i doubt ill be getting a bigger scope any time soon

cheers

Hi Jason, and a warm welome from me here in Swindon, not very far from you.  I agree that the hobby can be very addictive, but be shrewd in what you buy and ask for advice here first.  Sounds like you have a good set up there, 200mm is really the starting point for viewing galaxies and fainter nebulae, so well done in your wise choice.  Good luck and clear skies!

Archived