SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focussing A DSLR

Mikey0368

I've read Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards and he suggest using a program that can be downloaded from dslrfocus.com. However, it's now very old and isn't even supported on Windows Vista.  Is there an up to date alternative that I could use?

Thanks.

Hi. For free and quite accurate, your camera's live view pointing at the moon. For really accurate, point at a bright star with a piece of card with two holes in it and make the two star images as a result coincide.  Super accurate, especially at 10x zoom. Loadsa other stuff such as Bahtinov masks and fwhm values but that should be enough to get started...

HTH

hm.jpeg.be2d03f401062b3ee0f08dfecf5932f5.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Mikey07 said:

I've read Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards and he suggest using a program that can be downloaded from dslrfocus.com. However, it's now very old and isn't even supported on Windows Vista.  Is there an up to date alternative that I could use?

Thanks.

hi @Mikey07

If you use Scope and Bahtinov mask, - download Astrophotography Tool, - Bahtinov focus aid Tool is free to use on this app.

I've used the magnified live view and manual focus method with some success. I've also used BackyardEOS and APT. Both have a feature that's been mentioned called FWHM. I find I prefer APT because I can control my camera lens focuser with it and don't have to physically touch the camera to focus. I don't believe BackyardEOS has that feature, or at least I haven't found it. Both programs are worth the money as they are relatively inexpensive. I'm sure there are other free options out there though, if that's what you're looking for.

Focusing a DSLR remotely using software is ok if the lens has auto-focus, not all do. I've found with a DSLR and lens that manual focus utilising the camera's 'Live View' and magnify features (and a degree of patience adjusting in and out of focus) is quite enough. If the Camera is connected to a telescope a Bhatinov mask and Live View/magnify feature works fine done manually

Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:04, happy-kat said:

Canon here and I use Android application DSLR Controller on my 7 inch tablet.

I think I'll give this a go first. I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega that I'm using just for astronomy stuff that has a couple of other apps on it and it would be handy to keep everything together.

What type of cable do you use to attach your Canon camera to the tablet? I've had a look on Amazon and can't see anything obvious.

Thanks.

Archived