Narrowband

WO Zenithstar 61 + Skywatcher Star Adventurer

Hello everyone, 

As you can probably tell I’m brand new to the community. While I’ve been passionate about space related topics for my whole life, I’ve finally taken the leap and I’m about buy a simple astrophotography rig. Ive done a fair bit of research and, like many, I’ve decided that the William Optics Zenithstar 61 APO refractor is best suited for my situation. I plan to use my canon 600D/T3i as the main imaging camera and I also plan to use the Skywatcher Star Adventurer as a tracking mount for this scope. However I have a few questions:

1: I seem to be confused about how I should connect my DSLR to the Z61. As far as I’m aware, all I need is a T-ring and the WO Flat 61 Field flattener and I should be good to go. Is that correct? 

2: will I need a dovetail bar to mount the Z61 to the star adventurer? Or can I directly mount the z61 to the base of the star adventurer? (This was demonstrated by Trevor Jones from astrobackyard with his Z61 and the ioptron Skyguider Pro.)

Sorry for such a long thread; I’d just hate to finally get all my gear together and find out that some gear is incompatible. 

Thanks for the help! 

Hi, welcome to forum! May I suggest NOT getting the scope yet. I've heard nothing but good about the ZS61, but maybe you don't need it. I presume you have some camera lenses for your camera - some of these may be excellent for astrophotography. That will save you some upfront expense and you will be able to start out your learning curve at a shorter focal length and less weight, which will mean easier polar alignment and longer subs. Also the lenses are probably faster, so those longer subs will also go much deeper.

What lenses do you have?

Edited by Ags

I think you will need a a field flattener/focal reducer to fit the camera to the scope together with a Canon to T piece adpater (I think that is what it is called).

Possibly something like this.  Check with FLO they will know what you need:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-protective-t-ring-for-canon-eos.html

Carole 

Thanks for the quick replies! 

I own the standard 18-55mm lense. Haven’t tried any deep sky imaging with it only some really simple sky shots. 

Thanks Dave, looks great! Does the field flattener screw directly into the focus tube or do you need an adapter? 

2 hours ago, Lachlan said:

Thanks Dave, looks great! Does the field flattener screw directly into the focus tube or do you need an adapter? 

The attached gold eyepiece holder unscrews and the flattener screws on in it's place, the Canon T ring came with the scope, don't know if this is always the case.

Dave

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, robindurant said:

How long an exposure can you obtain with that  without serious star trails 

About 2 minutes depending whereabouts in the sky it's pointing, haven't really pushed it because of the local light pollution.

It can de guided for longer exposures but I've never gotten around to it.

Dave

• 6 months later...

Sorry to ask such a basic question ,  but , why do people change the exposure times .. is it just to obtain more light ,and does it really depend on light pollution .  Also are single frames possible on DSO or do you need to take multiple shots just to get a good photo?.. as you can tell I really am new to this side of astronomy .

Longer exposures gather more light, but if there is too much light pollution you can't take very long exposures. Also, longer exposures mean you need a better mount and/or guiding.

Edited by Ags