Narrowband

Small question about Eye pieces

Hello! right now im wondering... Does any eye pieces we buy fit to any telescope? are eye pieces universal?

just a small question because im thinking about buying a new eye piece ( i have already a 4mm and 20mm eye piece i got with my telescope )

Hi there.

The short answer is no, but that most of the time it'll be fine. The most common eyepiece sizes are 2" and 1.25". To use a 2" eyepiece you need a focuser that can take those, while almost all modern scopes accept 1.25" (scopes with a 2" focuser tube usually come with an adapter). There is a third eyepiece size ( 0.965″) but these are no longer common so this should not be an issue (you do sometimes see them on less expensive scopes).

What telescope are you looking to buy them for?

Billy

Just checked and it's the Bresser Solarix - this takes 1.25 inch eyepieces, which is the most common size. The eyepieces that come with that scope (which will have an H an SR on them) are not that good. I would start by getting something like a 20mm and a 10mm Plossl (for about x15 and x30). The Skywatcher ones are great value for money (about £20 each) and are really decent eyepieces - they should be a massive improvement over what came with the scope.

Billy.

10 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

Just checked and it's the Bresser Solarix - this takes 1.25 inch eyepieces, which is the most common size. The eyepieces that come with that scope (which will have an H an SR on them) are not that good. I would start by getting something like a 20mm and a 10mm Plossl (for about x15 and x30). The Skywatcher ones are great value for money (about £20 each) and are really decent eyepieces - they should be a massive improvement over what came with the scope.

Billy.

thank you for your help! 

Any eyepiece brand that says '1.25" eyepice' will do. Be aware there are some ?? lemons!

1032914572_6mmLERgoldline(small).jpg.c5540994318586626b82269c20f6eab8.jpg                  39615386_6mmLERredline(small).jpg.985cc417bc28e1a48f9c2b22de93c146.jpg

I ordered these two last week from HK ?? [via ebay] and arrived this week. Both were less than £19.00 each. I know both say "6mm", but that is what I was after. One has 66deg FoV and the other has 68deg FoV. They will make an interesting comparison/review against my TeleVue 6mm Radian, (shown below), which has a 60deg FoV.

1053872347_TeleVue6mmRadian.jpg.a49170d1239f0e68529f9b4a2002827a.jpg

You'll need special adapters if you want to use microscope eyepieces in telescopes.  The smaller ones are 23mm and the larger ones are 30mm.  They are popular for binoviewing.

Stick with dedicated 1.25" astronomy eyepieces as a beginner and you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

You'll need special adapters if you want to use microscope eyepieces in telescopes.  The smaller ones are 23mm and the larger ones are 30mm.  They are popular for binoviewing.

Stick with dedicated 1.25" astronomy eyepieces as a beginner and you'll be fine.

Alright thanks for helping!

Archived