SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Work, rest and play

spudicus

Hi All,

Well I've got tomoorow off work, and have been studying SkyMap Pro so I'm all set to view Mars for the first time. It looks like tonights mission will be a struggle due to heavy cloud, but I'm going to stay up anyway!

I have just bought a 15mm eyepiece as the 25mm I have is very cool but the 6mm is a nightmare! I just dont think the teeny-weeny view is worth the extra mag, I think I'll save that one for the moon.

The 15mm will give me x80 mag which I hope will give a good field of view and will make them planets a bit bigger! Am I on the right path?

Spud

A 15mm would be a good mid range eyepiece, but you can get away with a lot more mag on the moon and planets with the scope you've got.

Your best bets are 32mm (for a finder) and 9mm EPs and a barlow, the 127mm will be OK up to x250ish on good nights, so it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the (rare) conditions in the UK.

I've the same 127mm f9 scope and a 9mm works well pretty much all the time giving x 133 mag, if you had a barow to double the magnification you could really push the scope on the planets and the moon at X266.

Hi Spud

A barlow is a magnification enhancer that you put on to your scope before the eyepiece/camera.

You get 2x 3x 4x 5x barlows

This increases the magnification on what you already have.

Lets say you have a scope that on rime focus gives you 10x magnification

if you put a 3x barlow on you will be up to 30x magnification.

Barlows are the an essential item in my opinion for imaging.

Whats a barlow mate?

You are going to love this answer :) It's like getting free eyepieces!

It doubles (usually, there are Barlow that will give bigger multipliers) the magnifaction of any eyepeice it's used with. In a refractor it's placed in between the diagonal and the eyepiece so your new 15mm would give you x80 on it's own and with the barlow in gives you x160.

So instead of buying (say) 4 eyepeieces at 32/20/17/9mm

You get a Barlow, so the 32mm Barlowed gives you a 16mm and the 20mm Barlowed gives you 10mm, so you are looking at four Ep's for the price of three!

This obviously goes up with the more eyepices you buy, as long as you have a Barlow you are getting two EP' for your money.

I would recommend the orion 2x shorty barlow it's of excellent build and optically superb Spud!

James :)

I've got one of these and it's great. If you have the 2" EP system the I can recommend this...

http://moonfishgroup.com/GBP2Commerce/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=58&osCsid=3e689d847c13f8f9c202af07f7e57326

I also have one of these and they are great for £50.

Ant

Archived