Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings everyone.

Few months ago I wrote a post about a small refractor to mount on a Star Adventurer, but I'm now considering fast tele lens like the Nikon 80-200 f2.8. My question is: what is the best tele lens to get pictures of Andromeda galaxy, Orion, Soul, Hearth nebula and stuff like these? If I'd pick a 70-200 f2.8 lens, can I plug a teleconverter 2x to get better crop without losing details? 

I've attached a picture taken with my Nikon D3300 and 18-105 kit lens, as you can see it's quite small (forget about the quality, it was also quite foggy back then).

Thanks in advance.

Andromeda-3.jpg

Hi Paolo, you would hopefully get help if you post this in the imaging section, it’s more likely someone who could give good advice would see it.

I’m afraid I cannot help, I do visual astronomy only.

Hoping you get the needed information.

Ed.

You could use one of the calculators provided on this site and try different lens lengths with your camera on the targets you mention to see what the framing would be. Andromeda is a massive target and stretches out a long way. 

There's also a couple star adventurer threads where you could see what other gear members are using on that mount which might help.

Archived